I am unable to log-in to the computer as you cannot unlock the lock screen

Original Title: Windows 8 lock screen won't unlock....stuck!

Windows 8 laptop's lock screen won't unlock. Can't boot in safe mode and I don't want to reboot the entire system because I have important files. Please help!

Question Info

Last updated November 12, 2019 Views 77,101 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Sophie,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we are happy to assist you.

As per the issue, you are unable to log-in to the computer as you cannot unlock the lock screen.
I would ask some questions on this issue:

1) What exactly happens when you try to unlock the computer?
2) Are you able to reach the log-in screen?
3) Which account do you use to log-in to the computer? Is it a Microsoft account or a local account?
4) Are you able to see the logo for the user account? If so, what happens when you try to enter the password? D you get any error message?

If you able to reach the log-on screen, you can boot to the computer into safe mode.

You can follow the methods:

Method 1:
Let's check if you are able to boot to the computer in safemode. You can follow the steps:

a) Click on Power option at the lower right corner of the log-in screen.
b) Hold Shift and Click on Restart.
c) Click on Troubleshoot.
d) Click on Advance options.
e) Click on Startup options.
f) Click on Restart.
g) Select safe mode by selecting the appropriate number from the options onscreen.

Method 2:

If you are not able to reach to the log-in screen, I would
suggest you to perform Automatic Repair on the computer.

Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8 installation media.

Please follow the steps given below. Insert the Windows 8 installation DVD in the DVD ROM and restart your computer.

a) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
f) Click Automatic Repair from Advanced Options screen.
g) Next, choose the operating system by clicking on its button.
h) Windows 8 will then look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Hope it helps.

Please let us know stating the status of this issue.

You can always contact us if you have any other Windows related issue and we would be glad to help you.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have similar issue. When I enter my password to unlock the system, it shows Wecome and the status keeps circling. None of the keys work after that. If i do complete restart (using power button), things start working again. Please help

646 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

the instructions are all good but why did this happen in the first place? I don't like windows 8 :(

And I don't have a window dvd or system repair disc and this is bullshit and brand new too!

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

no windows 8 was not released early......

disabling the laptop touch screen .....

unable to get past lock screen.....

recover from the image drive.

1. Hit the Start key, type gpedit.msc, and press Enter. This will open the Local Group Policy Editor.
  2. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization
  3. Double click “Do not display the lock screen,” and select Enabled from the dialog that pops up. Click OK.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hit the Start key, type gpedit.msc,

Only available in Windows 8 PRO.......which the OP hasn't said they have.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue, but I don't have a windows 8 CD as the laptop came with windows 8 installed. Please help.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Am I the only one who thinks this is weird or just a coincidence that this is happening to all of us at the same time? My computer is brand new and I have had no problems until this. NOW it is stuck on the lock screen. I can put my password in but once I do that it just sits there spinning forever! I do NOT have a Windows 8 repair disk and furthermore do not feel that I should have to have one. I am using a Hp pavilion g6. Also my computer seems to be VEEERRRYYY slow now that this issue is happening. What I mean by this is that once I try to put my password in it takes a long time for the mouse to respond. If anyone could help with this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

29 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar issue.
Lenovo y400 notebook. 3630-qm i7 processor. GeForce GT650m.

Every single time i start up since yesterday, this is what happens:
Shows "Lenovo" and circling dots for a few moments, then shows "please wait" and circling dots again for a few moments. Goes to my main Lock Screen with the wallpaper, time, connection status (connected) and email status (shows new emails as i get them) like normal.
When I go to type my password nothing works. When I go to use my mouse or click, nothing works. Cursor is not on the screen.
From here, If I hold the Function key and press up/down on the laptop keyboard, the brightness functions DO WORK.
Also, strangely, If I hold function on my USB Keyboard and press up/down the volume functions DO WORK.
However these two functions are useless to me from here.

I attempted MANY TIMES and finally managed to rapidfire shift-f8 during the extremely short window (tiny fraction of a second) that I have to go into Automatic Recovery mode. It then shows "Opening Automatic Recovery" with circling dots and then "Diagnosing Your PC" with circling dots.
Greys out for a moment.
I then got a light blue screen and a short message to the effect of: "Windows was unable to start correctly. Would you like to attempt a system restore to an earlier point when it worked? Personal data will not be effected, although apps recently downloaded might be." I then get two options to choose from: "RESTORE" and "CANCEL".
If i choose restore, it then shows the Lenovo screen again with circling dots for five minutes or so, and finally brings me back to square one, unable to log in again.
If i choose cancel, it sits on the Lenovo screen WITHOUT circling dots for an undetermined (possibly endless) amount of time. I personally let it sit on that screen for over an hour before manually shutting off.

I am sending my y400 back to lenovo this week, it is still under warranty so they should be able to fix it or figure it out for me. The person on the phone mentioned it was likely a hardware issue so it's not Windows 8 problems, more than likely NVIDIA or Lenovo problems. 
I'm putting this up here for other peoples information, and to know that i reached a dead end. :(

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think it's a hardware issue, as there appears to be other examples where folks have had different manufacturers experiencing the same issue.  I have a Toshiba Satellite and am experiencing the same "Please Wait" spinning session -- it takes forever to re-instate from Lock.

Looking for help, please.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have found a fix! Go into your UEFI Bios and launch the windows boot manager. Then select "troubleshoot", then "Refresh pc". It will delete alot of your files but it will let you log in again!

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.