HELP my computer reset back to factory settings on it own

Ok so i got this new Hp Compaq Laptop about 3 months ago, i have windows 8 and just recently i signed in to it and i noticed something off. Usually my background color is light blue but, this time it is purple. When it started up my entire Desktop, start menu, everything was different. All of my pictures, music, and my documents are ALL gone. None of my files, history and even some of my programs are missing. Its as if the computer reset itself. This has happened once before, all i did was restart my computer and everything was back. I tried again but it didnt work this time. I would really like and appreciate some help recovering my computer. My research paper is on here and now i just DO NOT know what to do. Another thing i realized is that the windows 8 start screen usually has email, news, and other programs but, it just has Internet Explorer, Desktop, and Store.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2018 Views 41,796 Applies to:
Answer

Hey Nate,

I understand that you lost all your files and Programs on your HP Compaq laptop, it seems as if it is caused due to factory reset but you did not perform factory reset on your Windows 8 laptop. You faced the same issue before also but after restarting the computer it went back to normal state.

As per my knowledge this issue could be caused due to a Virus or the corrupted User Account. Hence, I would recommend you to first perform System restore to restore the lost files and programs and then run Microsoft Safety Scanner to troubleshoot if the issue is caused due to Virus. If this does not help my suggestion would be to try creating a new user account and check.

Let us perform the following troubleshooting steps and check if that resolves the issue.

Method 1: Perform system Restore.

Refer to the link and follow the steps from section:

"To restore your PC using System Restore":

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Also you can try performing System Restore with the help of below mentioned Steps:

a) Press Windows key + R.

b) Type “bootim” in the run Window.

c) Select Troubleshoot

d) Select Advanced Options

e) Select System Restore

Method 2: Microsoft Safety Scanner

Follow the provided link and run Microsoft safety scanner.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Disclaimer: There could be a loss of data while performing a scan using Microsoft safety scanner to eliminate viruses if any.

Method 3: Check in new user account.

Go through the provided link and create a new user account.

Create a user account:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-user-account

Regards,

38 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.