Computer in reboot loop with the Error: Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer when you try to install Windows

Original Title: UpdatesWindows update failure messages

New pc with windows 8 automatic updates, now pc is stuck in a loop of failure configuring windows update etc and then restarting, I cannot do anything with it.  What can I do to get it working again? I cannot get past these screens the failure to configure and then the restarting screen.  I cannot get to log in or anything to reboot it seems to be stuck in a loop.

Tried to put in the cd that came with the pc which says it is a windows 8 drivers pack but this does nothing.  Can anyone help?

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2018 Views 60,135 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Helen,

This usually happens when one or more updates fail to install on the computer and due to which the computer is unable to configure it successfully. Since, the computer is in a reboot loop and you are unable to boot it to the desktop, I would suggest you to turn off the computer manually by pressing and holding its power button for a few seconds and then try to restart it.

If you are able to login to the desktop, then you may first check KB numbers of the updates that has failed to install.

To find the KB numbers of the failed updates, follow these steps:

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys on the keyboard and type “Updates” in the search box.

b)       Click on “View update history” on the left pane.

This will show you the name and the KB number of the updates that were installed successfully and the updates that had failed to install. I request you to make a note of the failed updates and include those details in your reply. Let’s now try some troubleshooting methods and check if that helps.

Error: Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer when you try to install Windows Updates

I would suggest you to refer the article: “Error: Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer when you try to install Windows Updates” and to follow all the instructions for “Windows 8” given in it from this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Important: The System Restore restores the computer back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps and drivers and also reset the recently changed settings on the computer.

You may now try running the Windows Update and check if this resolves the issue. If the issue persists, please get back to us for further assistance.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.