FAQ/Known Issues for Windows Media Center in Win8 Consumer Preview

FAQ

How do I launch Media Center?

From the Start screen, start typing Media Center. You should see Windows Media Center show up under Apps.  From there, you can launch it or choose to pin it to your Start screen.

From Windows Media Center IR remote, press the Green button.

Are extenders supported?

Xbox 360 extenders are supportedAfter upgrade, you may need to re-affiliate your extender with your WMC.

Unsupported tuner configurations

Monaco(MediaRoom/IPTV), Dragonfly(Dish), Draco (DIRECTV)

Known Issues

Getting no search results when searching on WMC

Known issue on the x64 version of Consumer Preview w/no work around available.

Cannot Play Video message is displayed

Known issue with the Microsoft WDDM 1.1 driver for several graphics card. Updating the driver to the latest driver from the manufacturer should resolve this issue.

Playing Live TV, Recorded TV, or other video files on Extender, playback will freeze

Known issue for the Consumer Preview, and at the moment there is no work around available.

Clicking on Live TV results in crash or Tuner Not Found

Known issue with Win7 codec pack from Shark007.  Uninstall the Shark007 codec pack and install Win8 codec pack from Shark007 website. We've also seen this happen with other codec packs and tuner drivers. If you're encountering this issue and do not have Shark007 codec, please uninstall any other codec packs and update your tuner drivers from the manuf. website.

File needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly is displayed after playback has been going for a while

Known issue for the Consumer Preview with certain hardware, and at the moment there is no work around available.

Music/Photos/Videos are not showing up in their respective libraries in extender sessions

Known issue for the Consumer Preview.  Closing and restarting the extender session should resolve this issue.

Digital Cable Advisor fails when going through setup

This is a known issue in Consumer Preview that you can work around by re-running winsat manually.

Receiving HDCP errors in Media Center

This is a known issue with some drivers in Consumer Preview. Installing the Windows 7 driver may resolve this issue.

Windows Media Center reports No tuners found when trying to complete TV setup

Known issue w/ HDHomerun Prime tuner. Here is the published workaround from the HDHomerun site.

http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/instructions/prime/

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Nico T

The Black and Gold TV USB  Tuner (BGT3550 Dual Digital Terrestrial USB TV Stick) also appears to not install in Windows 8. You can attempt to install the drivers but they never install, even after updating the drivers via device manager.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

John Barnett MVP: Windows XP Associate Expert: Windows Expert - Consumer: www.winuser.co.uk | vistasupport.mvps.org | xphelpandsupport.mvps.org | www.silversurfer-guide.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mainly wanted to say many many thanks to Nico for putting this thread together to inform us that MS is aware of these issues.

I'd found and reported a number of these issues back to MS this week via Connect but of course there's no tracking or visibility of bugs submitted that way so until finding this thread was wondering how unique the issues I found were.

For reference the matching issues that I personally encountered were:

1. Getting no search results when searching on WMC
    I actually got this on my Win 8 CP 64bit install with a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 so not just a AMD issue
  2. Playing Live TV, Recorded TV, or other video files on Extender, playback will freeze
    Confirm this was the dealbreaker issue that's meant I can't swap over to Windows 8 as my main system until this issue is fixed.
    In addition to playback on the Extender freezing, I actually found that twice during three days it caused my host PC to loose it's network connection to the Internet and my wired network - http://youtu.be/NPW07luGiXg

3. Clicking on Live TV results in crash or Tuner Not Found
    Had this problem without any additional codec pack until I installed 'drivers only' updated TV Tuner card drivers for my UK Freeview Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-500 direct from http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/support/support_support.html
    Oddly Win 8 supplied drivers allowed card to be detected in MC setup and correct number of UK Freeview TV channels to be found and scanned...but after setup I got Tuner Errors instead of Live TV playback, until after driver update (which I'd recommend you do before Media Centre setup just to be safe)

A shame there are these issues with Media Center in current Windows 8 CP release as that will prevent anyone who relies on Extenders (to give them excellent multi-room entertainment!) are going to have to wait a while longer, which means MS will be missing out on feedback from some very tech savy and enthusiastic users.

Will keep an eye on this thread to see when MS is able to get those issues sorted and meantime will only duck into Win8 CP dual boot when and if I have spare time to play, not fully set it up or use it as my daily OS as I'd hoped to.

BTW Many thanks to Ian Dixon for highlighting this useful thread over on http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.php/2012/03/23/known-issues-faq-for-windows-media-center-in-windows-8-consumer-preview/ where I spotted this

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the feedback.

#1 - I've updated the FAQ to say x64. It was an error on my part to put AMD64. Like you experienced, it affects all 64bit systems.

#2 - Yes, we are aware of the weight of this issue and are working on in internally.

#3 - There are variety of different ways this error manifests itself. Most commonly we've seen with the codec pack but as you saw, it has happened with drivers as well. If anyone else experiences this problem, please try updating your tuner drivers from the manuf.

Thanks again for the feedback.

-Nico

Windows Media Center Team

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a strange thing happen when I went full screen with Media Player, the video went full screen behind the original Media Player window.
The original window had no functions and went white.The task bar would pull down icon menus behind that window as well and their functions did not work either. The video happily played in the back ground as it was.
More exact, I tried to adjust the volume and the control pulled down but would not work. It would normally come up on top of any open window and it did not, nor did any of the other task-bar icons.

I had to end the task to get out of the Media Player and could not make it happen again, as of this writing.

Mind you also, I have my task-bar at the top of my screen. I never understood why they always put it down instead of up.
Who wants to look down all the time ? It just seems more natural at the top.

I remember with Win7 a similar issue with Media Player where it would get stuck behind the task-bar if you had it at the top of the screen, and I often wonder if that issue got resolved, as I reported it during Beta of Win7.

If this happens again I will report back and to what made it happen or what i did that made it happen.

Sorry this didn't help.

Great to hear the Team is still there,

Hi Nico,

I was wondering if your team (most likely you can't say) will be working on a Metro TV Guide App that will allow schedulede recordings of Free to Air??

All we really need is the current Apps Music, Pictures, Videos to support all formats, codecs, containers such as but not limited to .MKV, VOB, FLAC etc. Allow browsing /including of Network Folders via the Apps. Add the TV Guide App to the pack and the Metro Start Screen would be to me the most awesome HTPC interface.

Can't wait to see what you guys (MIcrosoft) are cooking up.

Thanks for listening.

Sorry this didn't help.

"Getting no search results when searching on WMC

Known issue on the x64 version of Consumer Preview w/no work around available."

any idea when this is going to be fixed? does it work under 32bit?

Sorry this didn't help.

It works in x86. The issue has already been fixed and will be available in the next public release.

Thanks,

Nico

Windows Media Center Team

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the answer, even if i can't apply it (16go of ram on the computer).

Do you know if there is a possibility to fix XBOX video quality? TV is okay but video is quite poor… :( Nothing compared to Windows 7 with the same xbox.

Patos

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nico,

I was pointed to your post for help on another thread that I started.  I originally installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview x64 and had the problem with search not returning results despite being enabled in indexing options.

I reformatted and reinstalled the x86 version of W8 based on this thread.  Unfortunately, I haven't had any better luck.  Not only does search continue to produce no result but Windows Media Center isn't even added to Indexed Locations under Indexing Options in Control Panel. 

I attempted the following Windows Vista/7 solutions to add the missing index location but they had no effect:

cd windows\ehome\

ehprivjob /DoRegisterSearch

Close/reopen indexing options

c:\windows\ehome\

ehprivjob /DoReindexSearchRoot

Close/reopen indexing options

Any thoughts as to why I don't have Windows Media Center at all under Indexed :ocations and search continues to produce no result?

For background, I installed a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime cablecard tuner which is working as expected.  I can view live TV and program guide information, etc.  The only thing not working is the search.

Looking forward to the next public release of x64! Hopefully that will just take care of this problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

It works in x86. The issue has already been fixed and will be available in the next public release.

Thanks,

Nico

Thanks,

i can now confirm that it does indeed work under x86. i will "upgrade" to x64 on the next beta release or even the full retail release.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2013 Views 4,085 Applies to: