Question

Windows 8 mouse pointer disappeared

tutubearQV asked on
Hello...
I am using a 1 month old Toshiba laptop, running Windows 8 (upgraded from Windows 7, which was installed when purchased)
Until now, everything was working fine, but today, the mouse pointer just froze while browsing the internet.
I restarted the laptop(eventually after working out the keyboard shortcuts), and now the mouse pointer does not appear at all - I can only control things from the keyboard - which is very difficult.
When I shut down the laptop(the first time, with the frozen pointer), it installed updates, and when it came back on it configured those updates - so maybe this is something to do with it?
Please help - thank you!
4293 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
tutubearQV replied on

Hello...
Thanks for your reply - it is much appreciated.
I have, however, recently resolved the problem - and the solution is a little embarrassing - but I'll share it here for the benefit of anyone else with the same issue.
Quite simply, one of the function keys on the laptop has a 'switch the mouse pointer on or off' feature.  This is something I have never seen before, despite having used laptops since they were practically first available.
On my particular laptop (Toshiba Satellite L855) the F5 key does this.  It has a picture which is hardly identifiable as a mouse with a line through it.
Press this (or press FN+F5 depending on you configuration), and hey presto... the cursor returns.
Thanks again - and hope this helps someone else.

2932 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Opalamba replied on

Thanks for sharing your experience. It worked for me. FN + F9 for Asus.

371 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress