Windows 8 Desktop Auto-Keyboard?

We are developers of digital signage and would like to utilize windows 8 for our systems. 

In desktop mode, where our application runs, the keyboard doesn't automatically popup on input fields, ie. Firefox forms and data input.

When researching Windows 8 features, it says that even in Desktop Mode, with or without a keyboard attached, and using a touch screen - the on screen keyboard should automatically appear -- and then disappear -- when in an input field

In practice, this isn't happening.

Is there something that wasn't loaded or configured?
Is this an optional Windows configuration?

I've looked at using AutoHotKey programming and also looking at Windows 7 tibtap program. But -- it seems that if Windows would have this solution built in, then I wouldn't need an alternative program that could potentially cause more issues.

So - what am I missing from within Windows 8

PS> Windows 7 does not load a keyboard automatically when attached to a touch-screen either.

Ideas?
So - what am I missing from within Windows 8

The article was about the OSK.   You need to have the OSK running and minimized.   It does not start automatically but it will pop up if there is an input requirement in whatever window has focus.

PS> Windows 7 does not load a keyboard automatically when attached to a touch-screen either.

In W7 we get a TIP pointer icon to open the TIP optionally.   The TIP can also be opened by swiping quickly at the top of the screen.  (Supposedly.  I see it peeking out from the edge and tend to drag it out of there that way. <w>)  

In W8 the user can use the Settings charm.   Otherwise both OS allow the TIP to be opened using its Taskbar icon.  However in W8 once the OSK is running we can't use the TIP.   In W7 we can have the OSK running and still use the TIP.   I think (pretty sure, because sometimes annoyed by it) the OSK pops up on its own if minimized as I indicated above for the W8 case but I would have to check when I get back to W7.  

Many are hoping that W8.1 is going to address some of the deficiencies apparent in the original W8 UX, so I would not base any development design on just what happens now.   <eg>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows 8.1 does not repair this regressed behaviour.  You are forced to click on the keyboard icon that is on the taskbar.

No one knows why they introduced this regression, especially when even more computers now have touchscreens.  It is ignored in the Windows Blog when they mentally masturbate congratulating themselves on the W8 touch keyboard, and in all forums when this is brought up, Microsoft reps are suspiciously absent.

-M
--
"I don't want more choice, I just want nicer things!"
-Jennifer Saunders as Edina Monsoon

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This keyboard behavior is rapidly making Windows 8.x irrelevant.  I hope MS will get this fixed asap to stay in the game.
David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With hybrid computers -- like the dell flip screen -- the keyboard is covered when 'tablet mode' -- yet MS only shows the keyboard in 'metro' applications. 

While clicking the keyboard option is there, it's an unnecessary step as it automatically appears in 'metro' apps.

Since MANY applications are not written with Metro -- but can function with touch -- have the keyboard action be the same regardless of metro vs desktop makes sense.

I wonder how the surface acts in desktop mode?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The same. I have the Surface Pro 2, and on the Desktop, I have to go down to the taskbar, and click on the 'Keyboard' icon to launch the OSK. This sucks. Microsoft, fix this!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a mind boggling oversight that appears to be properly addressed by the competition. I just installed Google's chrome browser and was amazed to discover that when I click on an input field the keyboard pops up as it should. Now if a third party like google can build this functionality into their desk to browser, why cant Microsoft do the same? I love the OS overall but things like this sometimes annoy me to the point of screaming. Also touch swiping on the desktop would be nice too.

On another note, I like the desktop even with touch because it can be customized for it using old windows features like large icons. The desktop does not need to go away, just more aware of touch when its being used.

Help this

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 21, 2018 Views 5,165 Applies to: