How do I disable the Touch Keyboard entirely?

Answer

TL;DR: attempt 2 is half way, but you need one more step, described here. Basically you need to rename or remove the tipband.dll file.

Question

Configuration: Asus Vivobook S400CA with Windows 8 Enterprise.

Screenshot of the toolbar I'm talking about: http://bran.name/dump/taskbar-toolbars.png
You can see here I have 2 toolbars active, a custom download/upload meter, and the Touch Keyboard toolbar.

Since I have a laptop with a fysical keyboard stuck to it, I will never be using the touch keyboard. I'm trying to disable it, with moderate success.

Attempt 1 — disable toolbar:
  • Right click taskbar
  • Click Toolbars
  • Uncheck 'Touch Keyboard'
  • It disappears, but will reappear again whenever I'm using the touch screen a lot and it's prompting me with a text input.

Attempt 2 — disable service:
  • Press Win + R, type 'services.msc', press Enter
  • Find 'Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service', and double tap/click it
  • Click Stop
  • Select 'disabled' at 'Startup type'
  • Click Ok, then reboot
  • This works at first, but when I put the device to sleep and turn it on again, it's back. This does not happen on a normal reboot.

Attempt 3 — disable all toolbars:
  • Press Win + R, type 'gpedit.msc', press Enter
  • Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar
  • Find 'Do not display any custom toolbars in the taskbar', and double tap/click it
  • Click Enabled
  • Click Ok, then reboot.
  • This disables all my toolbars, which is not what I want. I need my download/upload meter toolbar to stay.
So neither of those fixed my problem. I kind of want attempt 2 to work, but without it reppearing after Sleep.

Any help is appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2019 Views 96,484 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Have you tried any of the solutions in this forum post? This keyboard is annoying...

http://superuser.com/questions/488322/permanently-remove-disable-touch-keyboard-in-windows-8-taskbar

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.