How can we use Touch Keyboard Windows 7 tabtip.exe with Windows 8?

Is there a way that the touch keyboard tabtip.exe (not on-screen keyboard osk.exe) to be programmed in windows 8 to operate like the windows 7 touch keyboard tabtip.exe?

I find the win7 touchscreen keyboard can be reduced in size smaller than the win8 version. Also a small "keyboard" icon automatically appears near a text field when I hover my cursor over a text input field. When I click on that icon the touch keyboard appears allowing me to type. When I move to another area of the display, the touch screen keyboard disappears. How nice that Win7 version is for my use!

In Win8, the tabtip.exe touch keyboard does not have the ability to be a smaller size like the win7 tabtip.exe.

Does anyone any suggestions for a smaller touch screen keyboard for my pc tablet? Or is there a way I can use a third-party type that can make a touch keyboard appear automatically when I insert my cursor into a text input field (such as username input fields)?

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Mx Craig,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community!

You've reached the right forum for your question. As I understand that you want to program your keyboard for touch.

Touch keyboard design in Windows 8 is different. So it is unfortunate that you cannot change the the size of the keyboard.

Note: Using Third Party Software or Link, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software or Link can be solved. Using Third Party Software or Link is at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for replying.

I don't suppose their is a way to transfer the win7 version of tabtip.exe to be used by the windows 8 operating system is there?

Why is the win7 version of tabtip.exe better at customization than the windows 8 tabtip.exe touch keyboard and handwriting panel?

Can the windows 8 registry be modified to make tabtip.exe work better?

The win7 tabtip.exe can be customized to show a "keyboard" icon next to a text input field when I place my cursor there to input text such as a username and password. Then I click on the icon that opens the touch keyboard. After entering the text and changing the focus of my cursor, the win7 touch keyboard disappears. HOW CONVENIENT! The win 8 version cannot.

When I use the win8 touch keyboard I have to send my stylus point to the bottom of the screen, call open the keyboard, focus my cursor into the text input field, enter the text, and then MANUALLY CLOSE the touch keyboard, then focus my cursor to the next point. It my personal opinion the win 7 version is better for my use. It closes automatically.

The win 8 version of the touch keyboard is HUGE. I use a stylus on my digitizer screen. When using the win8 touch keyboard, the distance I have to travel between keys on screen tires out my wrist. If the size could be adjustable it would be better. The win 7 version size is adjustable for the size I need. I don't have to send my stylus very far across a 12 inch screen.

Thank you again for replying. Can I hope Microsoft Engineers would make some improvements for the windows 8 tabtip.exe touch keyboard?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I am using Acer Iconia dual screen notebook. I am looking for solution you have described. The reason is that if I use Metro app on one screen and desktop app on the other screen keyboard will stop working. It just won't appear at all when I click into text field. I have to click on keyboard icon in task bar. Sometimes it won't appear even if I use just metro app. By the way, it will never appear with desktop apps. Is it possible to enable keyboard icon next to text field or add keyboard shortcut to charm bar(this would be brilliant)?

I came also across issue with windows 8 multi screen environment support. It won't let me run more than 1 metro app at the same time. This is really annoying. For example, if I open a metro Skype on one screen and want to open metro IE on the other screen, it will hide a Skype on first screen. Why this limitation?

There is few other issues/suggestions I have. Where can I report/send them?

Camera app not working correctly - picture is up side down. Solved by 3rd party SW.

Video app doesn't play video in full screen - can hear just sound. Solved by 3rd party SW.

As my laptop has two touch screens I have decided to buy Win8 upgrade. I have to say that Windows 8 impressed me with its speed. It cannot be even compared with Win7. Can you(Microsoft) please solve issues mentioned above!?

Thanks for any response

Jan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue on my motion tablet using a pen. The windows 7 style keyboard was always available on the edge of the screen. This function is necessary for enjoyment of windows 8. Without an alternative, I will downgrade before I activate my license and forego the metro interface.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The extra pointing and so on is also a problem for me. The inking  is smooth, but the overall experience is a downgrade from win 7. Another  thing that is frustrating is the need to actually point and click (my pen, or hand) on the insert button. Win 7 allowed a hover  option, which cuts out wasted touch. I can't find any way to  modify options in the settings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, and am also looking for a third-party solution.  I don't understand the logic behind scrapping the Windows 7 pen input system, which was the best I've ever used.  The new input system seems like an afterthought--it can't be configured, moved, etc.  I thought Windows 8 was supposed to be designed for touch and pen input?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Windows 7 touch keyboard input system is far superior. It supports all the keys on the PC Extended keyboard. The Windows 8 version is completely crippled. Very little beyond the letters and numbers are available. I am appalled.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I totaly agree with previous posters. The Win8 touch keyboard might have improved in some ways, but this does not wheigh out the loss in comfort, intuitivity and usability in comparison to the Win7 touch keyboard.

There is another thread dealing with this problem in the Windows 8 IT Pro forum.
And an attempt of MS to explain why we users don't really know what we actually want/need - interesting background story - worth a read.

But MS, please reconsider this decision and meanwhile give us an option to re-install Win7 touch keyboard.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree, and am duplicating my post from a similar thread on the Microsoft Forums site (thank you Scruff.R for annotating this link in that post) - I am a QC tech for a healthcare software company whose primary focus is eliminating the "clutter" of peripherals for our tablet users, namely the keyboard and mouse. 

The problem of the touch keyboard not interacting dynamically with text fields within our desktop application in Windows 8 is a major productivity killer for our tablet users.   Just the fact that I have to go down to the taskbar to manually launch the touch keyboard makes Windows 8 eons more inefficient than Windows 7 and, if it doesn't change, we're back to installing physical keyboards - say goodbye to freedom and mobility (grrr...).

For the most part, Windows 8 offers a streamlined experience, and I have thoroughly enjoyed learning all the new ins and outs of it.  Unfortunately the touch keyboard limitation takes a huge productivity feature away for our business users, and is a major design flaw.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same but opposite issue. At my company we have a Sharp PN-L702B 70" Interactive Whiteboard, which is basically a 70" touchscreen LCD monitor. I have a Windows 8 PC attached to this monitor, but when I bring up the touch keyboard it's very small, too small to use effectively. I find this strange since we have a couple Windows 8 tablets here also and the touch keyboard on these 11" tablets are actually bigger than on this 70" monitor. How is Windows 8 deciding how big to make the keyboard since the resolution is the same 1920x1080 on both the 11" screen and the 70" screen. And why is there no way to adjust the keyboard size. It seems Microsoft hasn't thought this through very well given the fact that Windows 8 is an operating system designed to work on many different devices with all different screen sizes ranging from 7" to 80" and bigger.

Also I agree with the posts above about the icon in Windows 7 for bring up the keyboard when placing the cursors in a text field. In business I still use the Windows 8 desktop environment most of the time and the keyboard icon was much nicer in Windows 7 rather than having to go down to the taskbar every time like you have to do now in Windows 8.

It's pretty sad that I'm debating on going to back to Windows 7 on this 70" touchscreen because of these issues with the keyboard, when Windows 8 is supposed to be a better operating system for touchscreens. 

Has anyone found a better keyboard solution for Windows 8?
Business Systems Analyst

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2019 Views 9,224 Applies to: