Charms keeps opening--driving me crazy

That bar opens at random even when the mouse cursor only grazes the middle right side of the screen. Between that and the giant clock, about a third of the screen is covered for maybe five seconds. It's incredible how often this happens.

If it helps to know, I'm using Enterprise edition with either MouseKeys or touchpad. I never use charms, so a way to turn it off completely would be useful if there's no other fix.

Answer
Answer

The only way I know to disable the charms bar is to do a registry edit.

ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY OR CREATE A RESTORE POINT BEFORE ANY EDITING

You will have to run regedit. 

Go to start screen and type regedit.

In the left side double click regedit.  You can also press the windows key and the letter R to get a run box and type regedit in the box and then click Ok.

Once in the registry editor navigate to the area

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell

Right click on the right pane and create a new key and name it EdgeUI

With the new key that you created highlighted, click in the right pane again and create a new

DWORD.  Name it DisableCharmsHint

Right click on the new DWORD you just created and left click modify.

Change the value from 0 to 1 and click ok.

Close the regedit.

Restart your computer.

The Charms will no longer open by hovering the mouse over it.  In order to open it again you will have to use the keyboard shortcut of windows key + C. You will find the windows key on your left bottom keyboard between the ctrl and the alt key.  If you have a laptop it may be between the Fn key and the alt key but it looks like a windows logo.  Hold it down and press the letter C and the charms will now open.

You can still drag your mouse over the right side of the screen upward to get it to appear as well.

For further keyboard shortcuts, you can find them at this link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/keyboard-shortcuts

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 3, 2019 Views 3,633 Applies to: