Basic Windows 8 User Interface Issues - figuring out how to shut down computer. Anyone else experience this?

Hello! I have been so frustrated by my Windows 8 experience (I had high hopes!) that I feel compelled to write a lot of feedback somewhere in the crazy hope that maybe someone from Microsoft will someday see it and improve their product. Did anyone else experience the below initial challenge of figuring out how to shut-down, or the secondary challenge of the right-hand charm bar disappearing permanently after a simple "touch screen calibration" run from the Control Panel?

Task: Shut Down Computer

So first I wanted to figure out how to shut down my computer. I hunted around, and of course with no Start menu in the old-fashioned screen, that option do shut-down from the start menu did not exist. Hunting within the home screen tile interface proved not great as well - I expected there to be some sort of "Shut-Down" and "Re-start" icons as part of the options in the bottom charm bar, but they did not exist. Finally, a bit desperate to actually shut down my machine, I hunted through the Lenovo video tips and found a video to teach new users how to turn off the computer. The secret was to go into the right-hand charm bar, click on the Settings charm (strikes me as an illogical place.... but whatever?), and THEN you can see a Power icon that allows you to pick to re-start or shut-down. In my opinion, there is obviously something very wrong with the user interface if I am unable to figure out on my own how to shut-down the computer. Something basic like this should NOT require me to locate a help video!

Task: Rescue the right-hand charm bar.

In an effort to help me out with my frustration over some of the touch screen inconsistencies, my husband found in the Control Panel something called "touch screen calibration" and ran it. For several frustrating hours until we realized this was the source of the problem, the end result of running the calibration was that the right-hand side swipe charm bar became broken, (including when I tried to access it with my mouse!) and no matter what I did, I could not get the right-hand charm bar to appear. I must have tried swiping on the touch screen over 100 times over a 4 hour period, and also tried the mouse dozens of times. No go. Right-hand charm bar was utterly inaccessible.

What's a frustrated person to do when faced with that kind of problem? Shut down the computer and re-start of course, hoping it goes away. WAIT... the only way I can shut down the dang computer is through that right-hand charm bar and then clicking on Settings, then clicking on Power, and then clicking on "Shut Down". SHOOT. So I hold down the power key for many seconds until I do a manual hardware force shut-down, since after struggling  for a while to find an alternate software-based shut-down technique fails to produce any options.

Upon re-starting, the problem still existed and there was no way to access the right-hand charm bar - it would not appear no matter what I did! Eventually, after some expletive-filled troubleshooting hours, we back-tracked and realized that the one and only change that had really occurred was the "touchscreen calibration" from the Control Panel, so we went back in to that, and hit "reset" on the calibration setting. Poof! Instantly the right-hand side charm bar became accessible again. UGH - why would this Control Panel feature break such an essential aspect of the Windows 8 interface? The fragility of this essential interface feature is definitely a serious user interface problem!

A little bit about me: I feel like I am a great target demo for Windows 8 success - I am 30, have enough money from my full-time job to buy a new computer and try out new gadgets/software, have a degree in Multimedia Design, and am often an early adopter of newer technology. I am a graphic designer with a lot of technical experience using computers and using programs (including past jobs as tech support and advanced experience in Photoshop and other programs) so I write this feedback from the perspective of someone who is not a stupid novice computer user. I am someone with the willingness to explore and try some things and hit a few bumps, who should be able to pick up a new interface fairly quickly and succeed (which I do well with each new Creative Suite release, etc).

Hi,

A fairly simple method I use frequently is Alt+F4 while on the Desktop.

Sometimes it works better if you click on the Desktop screen 1st, as this trick will also close any other type of window also.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Your can move your mouse to the right side of the screen and the "Charm bar will come up. Click settings and it gives your the shut down button.  Another way to bring up the charm bar is to hold down the windows button (the one with the flag) and C.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for digging up this thread, but I felt like sharing what i think is the best method for shutting down any Windows device:

1. Right-click your battery-icon in task bar (if there is one)

or (on desktop machines):

1. Open Control Panel

2. Click "Power Options"

3. Click "Choose what the power button does"

4. Select "Shut down" on battery and plugged in for "When I press the power button"

5. Click "Save changes"

From now on you can always just press the physical power button on your device and you're done.

IMHO this should be default behavior for this button.

I requested this for Windows 10. If you feel the same about it, please give it your vote over here. Thanks :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 173 Applies to: