Windows 8 will not launch Error The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.

I downloaded Windows 8 yesterday and although using it was confusing I got the hang of it. Today I used the computer again and everything was fine but then I shut it down and a few hours later when I turned it back on a blue screen popped up and it says :
Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired
The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.
File:\Boot\0xc000000d
OT: Day after Win. 8 Download it won't launch
I have no idea what's going on or how to fix it. Any help helping me understand and resolve this would be appreciated.
Answer
Answer
Encountered same issue from one day to the next - new Win 8 install < week old decided to misbehave on a reboot. Nothing untoward beforehand.

Anyway discovered that the automated boot repair is less than useless for me. It failed to repair anything after diagnosis and just gave up.

However, resorting to the repair (boot your windows install CD) command line prompt I was able to resolve with the ffg command on the command line.

bootrec /rebuildbcd

More info on bootrec available using your favourite search engine.

e.g. this site was useful for me

http://superuser.com/questions/451277/missing-boot-files-in-windows-8

For those users in previous posts having issues and only having a downloaded version on Win 8 - well I'd suggest you create yourself a DVD from the downloaded version of Win 8 - the installer does ask you if you want to create media - that will create a 4.x GB .ISO file which you can burn to DVD. There's enough info online on how to do this just search.

As far as creating a way to boot Win8 installer from USB well I've heard the ffg tool works with Win 8 too but cannot vouch for it since have never tried so its at your own risk.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool?ClickID=ckqs4fqifskwfnxlpiwkzwxqwwwzlvvlezzk

Good luck, have fun,

Cheers

80 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2020 Views 131,129 Applies to: