windows 8 will not boot

Tried doing a refresh PC, tried system restore, tried automatic repair, the only error a get from system restore is 0x00700b7 don't want to lose all my data off the system, how can I fix this.  I have been in touch with HP and check the hardware which all seems fine 

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 382 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

​Hi Alistair,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community and we are glad to assist you on this issue.

As per the query description, it looks like the computer is not able to boot to the desktop screen.

I appreciate the efforts that you have used to troubleshoot the issue till now. We will work together and try to resolve this issue further.

I would like to gather few information on this issue to help you better:

1) What exactly started this issue as you had to perform system restore or refresh on the computer?
2) Are you referring to the error code "0x8007007B"?
3) What happened when you tried to perform Automatic Repair and Refresh? Did you get any error message?

According to the error code that you have got, this error is caused by faulty imaging by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) that results in the presence of an invalid volume.

I would suggest you to check for the files on the drives using command prompt. You can copy the files and save them on an external drive.

You can navigate to the command prompt from Advance Startup option.

Please follow the steps given below:

Insert the Windows 8 installation DVD in the DVD ROM and restart your computer.

Note: If you do not have a Windows 8 DVD, I would suggest you to refer to the link ot create a Windows 8 installation media:

“How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset”

a) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.

b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.

d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.

e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.

f) Click on Command Prompt.

g) Type Notepad in the search box.

h) Click on File option.

i) Connect the external drive and then click on Open option.

j) Check if you are able to see the drives along with the files on the drive. Copy the files by pressing Ctrl and C key together.

k) Press Ctrl and V key together to paste the files on the external drive and then close the window.

Check if all the files are recovered.

Please reply us with the status of this issue.

Feel free to let us know if you have any other issues related to system repair on Windows and we would be more than happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.