Windows 8 unstable in desktop mode

Window 8 is unstable in desktop mode with windows randomly closing and drop down file menus appearing frequently.  I've read some posts regarding Skype but have not been successful with any of the suggested fixes.  Would rather not have Skype if this is causing the problem.  Purchased Norton anti-virus software thinking that I may have a virus but that wasn't the case.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 267 Applies to:

Sounds like a virus or a hacker who has taken control over your system... Try also scanning using Malwarebytes antimalware. You can find it here http://www.malwarebytes.org/. Download, install and run full system scan. Don't worry, this is not a real time protection program so it won't conflict with Norton (always make sure you don't have more than one active antivirus programs). Did you purchase Norton Antivirus or Internet Security? It would be better if you had purchased the second one since Symantec offers them at the same price and Internet Security (or Norton 360) offers an excellent firewall too.

Do you see your mouse move when Windows are closing and menus are popping? Do you have Teamviewer installed? This is a program that allows remote control sessions on your PC in order to let a friend help you solve problems. Has anyone gained access to your PC this way?

If you suspect Skype, have you tried updating it to the latest version? I think the current one is 6.3. Open Skype, go to Help > Check for updates and download them if available.  Still, I don't think this could be causing the problem.

Give us some more information. When did the problems start? Remember your last actions before the appearance of the issue. Is this a clean Windows 8 installation or an upgrade from Windows 7?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've downloaded Malware and run the full system scan which revealed no viruses etc.  I have an original version of Windows 8 on a brand new Sony Duo laptop.  I've tried removing Skype and I think that all I've done is remove the icon from the start menu.  I've been unable to find it through uninstall in control panel and can't see anything relating to Skype in the program menus.  Can anyone help me please. 

Sorry this didn't help.

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 23:32:25 +0000, FarCoffee7 wrote:

I've downloaded Malware and run the full system scan which revealed no viruses etc.

Unless you mean something different from what you said, if you
downloaded malware, you are infected--with a virus or some other
kind of malware. That's the definition of what malware is--MALicious
softWARE.

What did you run  the full system scan with?  And be aware that no
anti-malware program is perfect. Whatever program it is, you can
always be infected with something it doesn't catch.

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003

Sorry this didn't help.

What makes you think Skype is still on your system if you can't find it anywhere? You don't see the icon, it is not on the Start screen, there are no search results for "skype" and you can't find it in the programs' list. I do not understand. Open "My Computer" and navigate to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) . Do you see a folder named Skype? If yes, is it empty or not? Probably there is no Skype folder at all which means Skype has gone.

Nevertheless, Skype could not be responsible for your system's behavior. I don't see why you are trying to remove it. Where did you find evidence for Skype to be causing the problems? And let's say you've removed it, does the problem persist?

Can you specify the programs that close or drop down menus randomly? You didn't answer my previous question, do you see mouse pointer movement (arrow moving by itself) when such behavior occurs? Have you enabled any remote access program, such as Teamviewer or Microsoft's Remote Desktop or Assistance?

If you have the time, try also running a full system scan with Norton Power Eraser (different from antivirus). This is a utility that helps you run a deep full system scan for infections that are not resolved by traditional scanning. You can find it here http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx (including instructions).

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.