Windows 8 Unmountable Boot Volume error

I'm running Windows 7 and purchased a upgrade to Windows 8, after initial installation I receive a error: Unmountable Boot Volume, I've performed CHKDSK /R but still error, please let me know what other solution I can try

Question Info

Last updated December 8, 2019 Views 36,255 Applies to:
same here need help :(

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

try booting into Safe Mode, boot your PC, just before the system loads the Windows operating system; press SHIFT + F8 key combination on your keyboard which will launch the Advanced Boot Options menu.

Select the option to do a Startup Repair

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

try booting into Safe Mode, boot your PC, just before the system loads the Windows operating system; press SHIFT + F8 key combination on your keyboard which will launch the Advanced Boot Options menu.

Select the option to do a Startup Repair

doesnt give me the option to do a startup repair!

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue.  I have tried 4x, including wasting over an hour with Microsoft Tech Support who looked at my computer, ran all the tests and basically found no issues.  I have tried disabling all unnecessary computer files at start up, still same thing.  It just seems that an upgrade to 8 isn't all its cracked up to be.  6 hours and counting.  At some point I may just have to give up on Microsoft.  I love 8, but how can they make this so difficult.  My laptop is one year old and runs Windows 7, you would think I am a perfect candidate.

Sorry this didn't help.

My windows 8 crashed randomly, I've never had this problem before. After I tried to turn it on again it said your pc ran into a problem and for more information search unmountable boot error then it went to "recovery" and said I needed a USB or disc but I had a USB in it:(

223 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the very same issue, and when I researched it all, I had spent about a week during my off-work hours trying to resolve this.  The best I could come up with is that when Windows Vista became Windows 7, they had made a change to the Boot Configuration Data editor and the way the Recovery Environment is set up, so that the Boot Configuration Utility (BCDedit) AND the Recovery Environment (WinRE) both on the Main Windows Partition of your hard drive...Which to me doesn't make much sense because if something were to happen to the main Partition of your hard drive, how else do you get to the WinRE???  Anyway, I don't think Microsoft really thought this out and just assumed that every one would just follow their recommended procedure, but as I can tell by the scattering of errors from Windows XP up until Windows 8, and of course their recommended procedure is just to tell you that you don't have the BCDedit files either in the correct place or misconfigured....

Well duh!!!!   anyway here is a link to this article with three pretty complex solutions. In fact, I wouldn't even try using any of these methods, unless you would know which solution you could confidently follow by just reading this through once, but I had to read it three to four times, and finally just gave up, and looked someplace else,

In which I found this link and it seemed like at least these two guys in their discussion were pretty easy to follow except when they started using acronyms so much that all that was left was the broth in a bowl of alphabet soup.  So I tried to follow this guy's suggestion just by replacing my own GUIDs (Globally Unique Identifiers) in place of the ones he mentioned.  The only problem was that I wasn't sure which GUIDs were the correct ones and which were made when I had installed who knows what at whatever time, so that my boot loader file was pretty much a Frankenstein monster.

Anyway, if you do have the original installation disk to Windows 7 or Vista, I suggest you use it for repair, and to make sure that It will read the disk first before your normal boot manager takes over, you can try hitting Shift + F8 as Andre says, but in reality, there's also the F8 key you can press, or the F2 key. (I found that hitting the F8 key to work on my machine as well as F2)

Or you can try and configure your boot manager before shutting down windows by going to Administrative Tools in the Control Panel and then opening up System Configuration application.

On the first tab you can choose diagnostic startup or selective startup, and make sure you just run the minimum services, such as USB ports for a wireless keyboard or your CD-Rom Drive, then on the boot tab, click on safe boot mode and the most important thing is to set the timeout to a relatively decent amount of time, so you know that you will have enough time to hit the F8 key).

Anyway, I never was able to get my error fixed except by reinstalling Windows 7 cleanly from the DVD-Rom that I luckily thought to purchase at the time, even though it was just an upgrade purchase, it didn't seem to matter, because once I re-installed Windows 7 (with everything on my hard disk being erased) I was able to install Windows 8 without the boot volume error message. 

So make sure you back up all your files and make sure you're ready to start off fresh, because to me that was just the easiest way to deal with this :)

(Plus I am thinking that there's a way to download Windows 7 from a Microsoft Site if you already have a working licensed and registered version on your machine)

Anyway, good luck to y'all and to anyone else that comes across this error

BDClark

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.