Windows 8 stuck in an Automatic Repair loop.

I have a new Windows 8 PC and I am in an endless "Automatic Repair" loop.  I have created several restore points, but cannot access any of them because it says "you must enable system protection" and my ability to choose a restpre point is greyed out.  I obviously did not disable this, but now I can't boot up, even in safe mode (I've tried every one), to enable this.  

Refresh doesn't work either.  I need to know how to enable this or to get to my restore point.  I don't want to wipe my computer, and it seems silly that there is no workaround here, though I've looked for the last few hours and have been unable to find this.

I even tried a powershell script, but the command prompt wouldn't let me run scripts, and I also can't run CHKDSK because it says I don't have privileges.

Help Please!!!!!

Original title :Cannot access System Restore in Windows 8 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi GlennS28,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community.

Apart from the issue, how are you doing today?

You are unable to log into the computer on Windows 8. This can be really frustrating for you and I appreciate the efforts that you have put in. Let us work together as a team and try to get this issue fixed.

Let us start with few questions-

1)    Do you receive any error code?

2)    What account are you using?

3)    What exactly happens when you try to boot the computer?

4)    Have you made any other changes on the computer prior to the issue?

Do get back to us and let us know. We will be happy to help. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence.

Thanks.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1) I received an error code initially, but I don't receive any error code now.  It automatically boots up in "Automatic Repair"  I'm not sure what the original error code was.

2) I don't quite understand the question.  I don't get to the point where I can actually log in.

3) It boots up, says "Preparing Automatic Repair" then say "Diagnosing your PC", then I get to the Automatic Repair blue screen, and it says "Automatic Repair couldn'r repair your PC.  It gives me the option to Shutdown or Go to Advanced Option.  It also gives me a logfile which I can share if you tell me the best way to do that.  At that point, I tried literally every reboot option.  All the Safe Modes and alternate startup options.  System Restore, Refresh and Reset.  I even tried BIOS Startup from the recovery partition.  Nothing.  It always reboots right back into the Automatic Repair 

4) I installed a Symantec Anti-virus, which I have subsequently found out wasn't compatible with Win 8.  I then tried to do a system restore to a point before that install (when everything was working fine), but got to where I am now, except I can't use the restore function anymore because system protection seems to have been turned off.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I had the same problem with the endless automatic repair loop, happened to me after installing some drivers on my MSI laptop. 
After a few neuron-killing hours, I tried the simplest solution. Since Windows 8 creates an image of your PC status before it closes, I removed the battery and the power cable for 20 seconds, entered BIOS at startup and changed the state of the boot option for the hard drive to disabled so it would have only the CD to boot from, then reinstalled Windows 8 with a fresh format of partition C:

Don't try to fix the existing OS. It does this because some files in the OS are missing or have been corrupted.

Best regards,
Vali

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Valentin Neda,

Thank you for sharing this information with us.

Your suggestions will be helpful to a number of community users facing a similar issue.

Feel free to contact the Microsoft community for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future.

Thanks.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.  I changed the power  options settings and then the system crashed.  I have no way to know if the action and the crash are related.

When the repair options screan came up, I chose Advanced | diagnose and fix problems.

Now, the computer goes into and endless loop in the check disk phase.  It ran 10 hours.  Is that long enough for a terrabye disk?  I restarted it and it does the same thing.  9 hous later it ws still stuck.

I tried to boot from the USB stick that I used to do a clean install.  It will not boot from that.

HELP!

Sorry this didn't help.

I solved the loop problem.  My computer ahs two pairs of terrabyte mirrored disks.  I changed the boot order and it booted to the repair screen.

I will see what happens now.

Sorry this didn't help.

i bought acer v8 preinstalled win8 in there but also got problem attempting repair computer den diagnosing ur pc ... always like that .. help me help me... i got no original cd cos it come with notebook that win

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

I just bought a new MSI CR 61. I have update the windows 8 normal to pro and wanted to revert back to normal.. I keeps on the repairing and diagnosing loop. I'm unable to get in the F3 option, windows menu. I have try as what you posted but nothing. 

Can you advice please

Sorry this didn't help.

Please make sure you removed the battery and power plugin for at least 20-30 secs so the image would be destroyed. Otherwise, I suggest a new install from the BIOS. It is shameful that Microsoft has done nothing about this.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a new Windows 8 PC and I am in an endless "Automatic Repair" loop.  I have created several restore points, but cannot access any of them because it says "you must enable system protection" and my ability to choose a restpre point is greyed out.  I obviously did not disable this, but now I can't boot up, even in safe mode (I've tried every one), to enable this.  

Refresh doesn't work either.  I need to know how to enable this or to get to my restore point.  I don't want to wipe my computer, and it seems silly that there is no workaround here, though I've looked for the last few hours and have been unable to find this.

I even tried a powershell script, but the command prompt wouldn't let me run scripts, and I also can't run CHKDSK because it says I don't have privileges.

Help Please!!!!!

Original title :Cannot access System Restore in Windows 8 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2020 Views 24,413 Applies to: