Windows 8 refresh failed and deleted recovery image

I have a Asus vivobook S400c that I bought 4 months ago from the Microsoft store. I was getting blue screen crashes about 2x per day for a week, then all of a sudden today my computer kept crashing. It would crash, go to the blue screen, reboot, then after 2 minutes crash again. The error's that I was getting were different each time. 

In the end I decided I would just reset it to factory settings.  I pressed F9 and chose the full wipe. At 64% the refresh failed and It took me back to the F9 menu, so I tried it again and it resulted in the exact same thing. So I went to advanced options to manually chose the recovery image from the HDD and it said that there were no images on my computer. So now whenever I boot the computer up it says starting automatic repair which fails after 1 minute and then gives me 2 options: 1)Shutdown 2) Go to advanced options.

My laptop doesn't have an optical drive so I don't have the Windows 8 CD so how do I re-install windows 8? I thought that they left an image on the HDD that you could use to flash it. I don't know what to do.
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community Forums.

It looks like Windows 8 refresh failed and cannot recover the laptop. Let's analyze and identify the cause of the issue.

1. Are you able to boot the computer to safe mode?

2. What happens if you opem advanced options?

Since the computer is getting blue screen errors there could be a faulty hard drive or any other hardware device. 

Method 1:

Try performing a check disk booting from the advanced recovery option.

a. From Repair your computer choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.

b. You may choose Command prompt.
c. At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER
chkdsk /f /r X:( drive letter)
d. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.
e. Restart the computer.

Note: When you run the check disk, there are chances of losing data so you can take a backup before running checkdisk.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Method 2:

You can download the .ISO file of Windows 8 on another computer, copy the files to a pen drive of 3-4 GB and insert it in the computer to repair/re-install.

How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Also refer:

How to perform a clean installation of Windows 8:

Hope this information helps. Do get back to us if you have more queries regarding Windows.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 5,077 Applies to: