Windows 8 Pro will not load passed the Windows logo.

Installed Windows 8 Pro on my desktop and now when I turn my computer on, it will not load passed the Windows logo. Does any have any insight towards this issue? I upgraded from Windows 7.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 85 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Troy,

Just a few questions first, to understand the issue better:

1)      Did you use the Upgrade assistant to install Windows 8? Did the Upgrade assistant find any devices or parts of the computer to be incompatible?

2)      What is the make and model of the computer?

3)      Do you have a Windows 8 installation disk?

Since the computer doesn’t boot after the Windows logo, I would suggest you to try these steps and check:

Method 1:

I would first suggest you to remove all external devices connected to the computer except essential devices like keyboard and mouse and then boot the computer and check.

Method 2: Automatic repair

If you are unable to boot the computer, then I would suggest you to perform an Automatic repair. The Automatic repair can detect and fix the issues that prevent the computer from starting normally. You will need the Windows 8 disc to perform an Automatic repair. Since you upgraded through upgrade assistant and don’t have a Windows 8 disc, I would suggest you to download Windows 8 from another computer through this link and choose to create an installation media when the upgrade assistant prompts.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

After you have a Windows 8 installation disc, follow these steps:

a) When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be F12.

b) Restart the computer, keep pressing the Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to CD\DVD ROM

c) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.

d) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

e) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner

f) Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click Automatic repair.

Method 3: System restore

If automatic repair didn’t help, then you can perform a system restore and check:

a) When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be F12.

b) Restart the computer, keep pressing the Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to CD\DVD ROM

c) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.

d) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

e) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner

f) Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click System repair and follow the prompts.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved or if you have any further queries related to Windows, please get back to us and we’d be happy to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.