Windows 8 Missing Operating System - Automatic repair not working

PC: Dell XPS Studio MTS435.
Operating System: Windows 8

I've just had to replace the PSU in the desktop so its been powered off with no PSU for about a week. When I turn on the PC i now get a "missing operating system" message. I've tried choosing to boot into either of the 2 hard drives with no success. I've also tried a windows 8 automatic repair using the windows 8 disc. The repair fails. I'm pretty sure its something to do with missing boot files.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

​Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community forums.

From the problem description, I see that you are unable to boot the computer and receive error message "Missing Operating System".

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. We are here to help and guide you in the right direction.

Provide us few more information to understand the issue better.
1. Are you using Windows 8 Operating System Disc or Recovery Disc to perform Startup repair?

2. What exactly happens when you try to perform startup repair?

3. Do you get any error messages?

Method 1:

I would suggest you to remove all external devices other than mouse and keyboard and check if it helps.

Method 2:
Make sure computer is booting from CD/DVD that you are inserting to perform startup repair. You make check the boot preference in BIOS for the same.

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Let us know the status of the issue after performing the troubleshooting steps. If you need any further assistance or information about Windows, I will be glad to help you. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am trying to boot from Windows 8 pro disk. Recent install. No problems until this! Alienware Aren51. Have gone to Repair. Diagnoses system and then Attempts repairs...for hours!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

sounds like ur hard drive is not getting any power. Go into Bios and make sure the harddrive is there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a new computer with windows 8. This morning turned on my computer and saw the same "Missing Operating System".  I removed the memory stick I had plugged in (suggested by another reader) and restarted. - Problem solved.  Try removing any plug-ins etc. except mouse, keyboard etc.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a similar issue, I upgraded from Windows 8 Enterprise to 8.1 Enterprise using the .iso.  After rebooting, I got a error sayin "Missing Operating System".  Not good...

Untimatly, the issue was resolved by removing a USB Thumb drive from the computer that I had long forgotten about.

After removing the Thumb Drive and rebooting, Windows continued it's setup and all is well.

Whew...

I came upon this post while serching for Windows 8 Mising Operating System.  Thank you!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a new computer with windows 8. This morning turned on my computer and saw the same "Missing Operating System".  I removed the memory stick I had plugged in (suggested by another reader) and restarted. - Problem solved.  Try removing any plug-ins etc. except mouse, keyboard etc.
I've did this and not solved yet. The BIOS could detected my drive. This problem appear after upgrading to windows 8.1. Getting worse that i don't have any rescue cd since i did migrate from windows home premium via internet. Poor me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It was an upgrade from Windows & . Ended corrupting 3 hard disks. Back with 7 . Bliss. Have heard many other upgrade probs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 1, 2021 Views 18,300 Applies to: