Windows 8 has taken over HP system recovery!?!

Ok I installed Windows 8 on an HP G72 laptop that previously had Windows 7.   I am trying to use the HP system recovery to restore my laptop to its factory settings and go back to Windows 7 but Win 8 has taken over the HP system recovery program with it's own **** so I cant do a full restore?!?

The only option I get is to "reset" my computer and then it asks for me to insert the original discs to proceed..........but that's not what I want to do! That's why there is a recover partition created by HP so that I don't need discs and can recover my system!

What's the point to this? Windows is trying to be too clever!

How do I stop windows from doing this?

I need the original HP recovery to run.

When I press f11 on boot up it does nothing and just loads windows as normal, if I press esc on boot up I get to choose start system recovery but again widows ignores this and starts up as normal. If I use recovery manager while windows is running, I can click system recovery and it restarts my laptop and then runs some Windows 8 recovery program instead of the HP version.

|
Sorry, but when you upgrade to Windows 8 your recovery partition is usually rendered useless. Remember when you update that license ceased to exist and you have to uninstall Windows 8 in order to reinstall Windows 7. Hope this helps and if you need further assistance post and we will be glad to help you.

The above opinion is mine and mine alone and doesn't necessarily reflect that of Microsoft, it's employees, or any other member of this forum

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Try Restaring your machine, instead of Shutdown and Boot... Win 8 has a new boot feature that may be interfering with HP's process.....or turn it off...

This feature only works when you do a SHUTDOWN and then Boot.

It doesn't effect a RESTART.

To turn it off or on...

Go to Control panel...Power Options, and select Choose What the Power Buttons Do on the left.

Then select Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable near the top center of screen...

Lower down on the window, uncheck Fast Startup.

ALSO...I found this in a HP Manual... did you perhaps miss a step when using F11 and\or Esc ?

To restore the system from the partition:
1. Access Recovery Manager in either of the following ways:
● Select Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager > Recovery Manager.
– or –
● Turn on or restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key for
Startup Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen. Then, press f11 while the
“Press <F11> for recovery” message appears
2. Click System Recovery in the Recovery Manager window.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 11, 2018 Views 2,063 Applies to: