Windows 8 Hangs on startup, and Auto Repair Can't Fix issue.

Yesterday when shutting down my laptop (which has been upgraded to windows 8 Pro Previously, without issue) windows 8 installed an update. Since then, when trying to boot, windows hangs on the loading screen (circle of dots spinning) endlessly. Hard resets do nothing, and when I go into Auto Repair, the issue cant be fixed.

The normal Procedure is to click Troubleshoot>Advanced Options, before selecting an option like System Restore to fix my problem. 
This is an image of that menu:

However, upon clicking the Advanced Options button, there is no response, and the button freezes, and similarly with the Refresh PC option, and hence I can never get to the next screen. Strangely the Reset PC option went to another screen, but I really want to avoid losing all my data, and wish to exhaust every other option before doing so.

I have spoken to Dell and run the Hardware Diagnostics, and there is no hardware issue with my HDD or anything else.

I had made a Windows 8 backup on my external harddrive (not a full system image, just the normal restore point I believe) but I'm not sure how to use that, and my PC will not boot from that external drive, when I use the boot menu.

I am currently downloading the Windows 8 Install disk, will that help me in recovery? Or are there any other solutions?
|

I had this same issue when installing windows 8 on my alienware aurora-r3. I had windows 7 x64 running on it for a year before I upgraded the other day to windows 8. I attempted to install windows 8 as a fresh install without upgrading from my windows 7 build. 8 installed but continued to freeze on the startup in the same spot every time, the black screen with the blue windows logo and the spinning circles. The circles would stop spinning and the pc would sit frozen until I used a hard power off by holding the power button down for 30 seconds. Once I powered it back up it would boot right into the 8 without a problem. I tried many of the suggestions like disabling fast boot, which in the final build is located in the 'power options' then 'choose what the power buttons do' settings but nothing described here worked.

The second issue I encountered which is also discussed in this thread is the booting to a black screen after a video card driver was installed. I also encountered this when I attempted to update the driver for my nvidia gtx 580. When 8 was installed it immediately recognized the right card and had a driver for it but it was outdated as compared to the driver available on nvidia's website. when I updated the driver the pc booted into the 8 without a freeze on startup but only booted to a black screen and a mouse cursor. No matter how long I left the PC to sit and load it would never fully load explorer and even crtl-alt-del was unresponsive. I was also unable to use auto repair or system restore from the original installation media. After frustration I reinstalled 8 only to get the same freezing issue at startup.

After some trial and error and time on the phone with Microsoft I have two potential solutions that have solved these issues for me in their entirety for over 24 hours now. first, before installing any updated display drivers, download and install every available windows update. If you still run into the same issue you can also try to install .net framework 3.5 prior to installing the driver.  I have verified this works over two more successful installations.   As for the freezing at startup create two shortcuts on your desktop with the following commands

restart : C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00

shutdown: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00

Use these icons when you restart or shutdown for the next few times. This should trigger 8 into warm booting the system. After using them successfully for a few consecutive times, you should be able to return to using the restart and shutdown commands integrated into the user interface.   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows 8 is super buggy still. I'm pretty sure I just returned a Samsung that had Windows 8 issues resulting in the blue screen of death. Was unable to wipe and reinstall the OS so I racked it up to a hardware issue (typically ambiguous windows error code). Now brand new Sony locking up at boot and all I did was put on MS Office, Norton Anti Virus and do the two rounds of updates. I've talked to a lot of other people with similar issues. Kind of surprised there is not more info online about issues/fixes. Seems common. Maybe the Microsoft PR machine at work. Either way I'm done. If I can get Windows 7 64 bit to install I'm calling it a day. Windows 8 is too unstable and seems to not be as retro compatible as claimed. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having a similar issue:

Computer: Windows 8 – Toshiba Satellite P870 – 2 months old
Cause: Despite avoiding hybrid shutdown and disabling the setting that causes a somewhat backed-up shutdown to speed up startup, my computer would occasionally hang on shutdown or restart. Even leaving it overnight did not cause it to shut down, so when this happened a hard shut down (holding down the power button) was required.

Issues: I cannot access my profile on the computer. All my files are still present and accessible once I can get to a desktop screen, but these are the various problems –
- Often freezes on login screen or hangs once the password is entered, requiring a hard shut down once again
- If login is successful, it takes me to a default profile where I can access my files, but my app screen is at the bare minimum.  When I check the event log, "User Profile Service" errors match up with my issues, with a Guid of 89B1E9F0-5AFF-44A6-9B44-0A07A7CE5845.
- I tried making a new profile, incase it was just my profile corrupted, but I have the same issues logging in and shutting down.
-I ran a scan/repair, and it said it repaired files, but then it failed to shut down, and after hard shut down had the same login problems.
- I tried the shutdown/restart commands listed below, but it still hangs for 10+ minutes and then I end up hard shutting down.
- If I can instead make it to the boot menu (why do they make this so hard to access?), I can start in safemode, but that doesn’t seem to help.
- Also from the boot menu, I tried to restore from a restore point, and it can’t find any. I also tried the option (recovery?) which said my files would be safe, but my programs would be wiped, but it returned an error.

Solutions?  I am REALLY hoping I don't have to wipe the computer and reinstall.  That would be very frustrating.  This is a new computer, I shouldn't have to deal with this.  Microsoft, I'm looking at you, help!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a HP Pavilion 17-e054CA, and it also has Windows 8.1 and has been stuck in Automatic Repair.

I contacted HP Support they couldn't help me, I contacted Microsoft they couldn't help me, I contacted 

BestBuy, the Retailer where I purchased it from and they couldn't help me... I can't seem to understand who actually supports Windows 8? The Retailer, cant be bothered they have a 15 day return policy so I am beat... HP Technical Support said it's not a Hardware problem and so their 1 Year Manufacturers Warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Microsoft says it's OEM Software passes me back to HP.

I cant install anything else but Windows 8 as HP doesn't support any software but Windows 8.

So there is no driver support for any other operating systems since Windows 8 is so unstable and full of bugs. Explorer Crashes when you right Click or try to select any files, it crashes when you try to do even simple tasks like cut, paste or even if you try to copy any files making it absolutely useless. i cant play and media files even after i set windows media player as my default media player the  other Apps that came pre-installed constantly hijack everything I want to do and I cant seem to uninstall them permanently.

I think Microsoft has finally lost me forever, I have decided to try Ubuntu Desktop and if that doesn't work I will sell this crappy laptop to some other fool... 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2021 Views 7,892 Applies to: