Windows 8 - cannot restore a Windows 7 Image disk backup I made. The restore application refuses to see the backup on the ex drive

I took a image backup of my windows 8 installation before attempting the windows 8.1 upgrade.

I now want to restore the image backup (was made in advanced settings using the windows 7 image backup tool.

I boot into the install DVD or USB key and go to Troubleshoot,advanced,system image recovery
But, the re-image your computer tool refuses to show me the backups I made on the external drive.

Select a system image just shows an empty list.   (but if I go back and into a dos box I can move to the external drive ok)

Any suggestions anyone?  I really want/need to restore this image backup
You can't restore a System Image made in Windows 8 on a System 8.1. Just can't be done.  Hope this helps and if you need further assistance post and we will be glad to assist you.

The above opinion is mine and mine alone and doesn't necessarily reflect that of Microsoft, it's employees, or any other member of this forum.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." -John Muir

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks but the thing is Im not trying to do that.
I have restored to the blank basic Win8 from the restore media, back to how it was, and to the version I took the backup from.

But if I boot into the advanced menu, and try to restore the image, it doesn't recognise the image backup.  What use is a backup tool when it doesn't work!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would suggest that you refer the links and check if it helps.

What happened to Backup and Restore?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/what-happened-to-backup-restore

(Applies to Windows 8 as well)

Backup and Recovery of Windows 8 & Windows 8.1 - Tip-of-the-Day

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2013/09/17/backup-amp-recovery-of-windows-8-windows8-itpro-tipoftheday.aspx

Let us know the status.

Vinod Archak
Forum Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 96 Applies to: