Windows 8 Boot Configuration Data file Error code: 0xc000000d on Lenovo Ideapad U510

I purchased my IdeaPad u510 less than 6 months ago with Windows 8 pre-installed.  

After shutting down normally, the next day when I started the computer I am immediately brought to a blue screen which reads:

Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Date file is missing some required information.
File:\BCD
Error Code: 0zc000000d

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media.  If you don't have and installation media, contact your system admin or PC manufacturer.

So, I called Lenovo and the first thing they ask is if I was downloading anything (which I wasn't) and implied that maybe I had a virus.  Their solution was for me to restore the laptop to factory settings which I do not want to do.  I told them I would look into it and call them back.

So, I did some research as the problem appears to be with booting and not with my computer.   I can get to the BIOS screen so obviously have access to my hard drive.  The error message also states that I'm missing SOME required data.  In another topic on this forum someone has a similar problem and was directed to a solution using the Microsoft Windows 8 CD.  It appears that this is a known Windows issue and that there is a workaround so that the system doesn't have to be restored to factory settings.   So why can't I get this disk and do the repair?  Once I had the disk I would go into Repair Your Computer and fix the MBR.

So, I called Lenovo-- told Hardware what I found and was told, "You're absolutely right."  Seriously?  Two days ago you guys told me I had to erase my hard drive to fix this and now you're admitting that all I need is the disk?  So, they transferred me to Software. Now, software says they can fix it but that I need to pay $89 for a one time fix!  Really?  

I would think that since this is a known Windows OS issue either Lenovo or MS would offer to repair it.  I mean, seriously, all I need is the disk.  Wy can't I have it?  I bought the computer.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

There is a fairly easy way to usually fix this, but you need a Repair Disk, or Installation Disk to try it...

Do you get any kind of offer to do a Repair when this message shows up?

Do you have a friend that you can borrow a Repair or Installation Disk from?

A Win 7 installation disk might even work... you just need to get to a windows .CMD prompt...

1. Put the Windows installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press ENTER.

8. Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press ENTER.

9. Type BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD, and then press ENTER.

140 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2021 Views 68,428 Applies to: