Windows 8 black screen after boot right after installing intel hd graphics 4000 drivers

Today after I installed latest drivers for Intel HD Graphics 4000 for windows 8 x64, I got a black blinking screen right after boot with only the mouse pointer after I was prompted to restart my pc to let the drivers take effect. Ever since I have been unable to get the windows to start. I tried to restore to the latest restore point which I created right before installing the culprit driver in the advanced recovery menu but the system restore was unable to detect any restore points on my PC. I then tried the automatic repair. All it did was to stop the blinking screen. The display was still blank. So, I tried to boot in to safe mode but it still got stuck at the black screen. I then tried every option in the Start up settings but none of them was able to get past the black screen. I tried to run the task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+del but that didn't work out either. My pc previously ran on windows 7 ultimate x64 after which I upgraded to windows 8 x64 through a digital updater which rules out the possibility of "PC refresh" as it requires an installation disc while I have the updater saved on the same pc. I have loads of data due to which recovery is not an option. Can anybody please help me to get windows working via System restore or anything else? I am in a fix and really need an urgent solution.
My PC specs are:
HP Pavilion G6 Core i5-2.5 GHz
AMD Radeon HD Graphics 7xxx - series
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Windows 8 x64

Hi Hasan,

You may try to backup the data using Command prompt from Windows Recovery environment. Refer to the link for details:

How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

You may also contact the computer manufacturer for assistance with backing up data and restoring Windows 8.

Hope it is helpful.

Rohit S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

tried to boot in to safe mode but it still got stuck at the black screen.

Since you can do that you could use Command mode to investigate what your symptom means.   E.g. if it is a driver crashing it may show up in the logs.   But you may be lucky and find that it is only showing you the second screen of an extended display in which case you would try changing that, e.g. press Win-P, CursorUp, Enter (as if you could see the Second Screen dialog come up and use it that way <w>).

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks a lot Rohit and Robert for getting back with a reply. Windows 8 has been throwing issues the day I updated from Win 7. It has crashed and recovered 3 times. The display drivers have not been working properly. I spend an entire day fixing an issue and the very next day 2 more issues come up. So, I finally rolled back to Win 7 after backing up my data through HP Recovery manager. I won't update now till stable drivers are released by MS and HP for this OS. It has been over a year since Win 8 was released. It is a pity not being able to get it to work. I hope HP focuses more on their existing consumers more than releasing new gadgets to tempt the new ones.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 957 Applies to: