Windows 8 automatic repair menu screen frozen

I need help! My new acer iconia w510 came with windows 8 pro. When I restarted it after a software update, it said it was doing automatic update. I left it overnight to which it said unable to repair and now it has frozen on the menu when you choose shut down or advanced options so that I cannot choose an option! I have turned off and on again many times and it always freezes on the same page. Help!!!!!!

Question Info

Last updated February 16, 2020 Views 5,323 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Don't worry I found out what to do. You need a usb mouse and usb keyboard and then follow the steps as normal.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Edward,

It would be great if you can provide more information regarding this issue. Please answer these questions for a better understanding.

1)       What exactly happens when you restart the computer by pressing and holding its power button?

2)       Do you have a Windows 8 installation media with you and are you trying to boot the computer from it?

3)       Does this happen only when you click on the “Automatic Repair” option on the “Advanced Options” screen?

4)       Are you able to click on the other options available on the “Advanced Options” page?

5)       Do you get any error message when it hangs on the “Automatic Repair” screen?

If you are using the Windows 8 installation media and able to click on the other options on the “Advanced Options” screen, then I would suggest you to perform a System Restore and check if that helps us in any ways. You may follow these instructions:

Perform a System Restore and check the status.

To perform a System Restore, follow these instructions and check:

a)       Contact the computer manufacturer to know on how to change the boot order of the computer. You will have to change the boot device to CD/DVD drive and then boot from the Windows 8 installation disk.

b)       In the “Windows Setup” dialog box that appears, set the Time and currency format, Keyboard or input method and the language to install and then click “Next”.

c)       Click on “Repair your computer” from the lower left corner.

d)       From the “Choose an option screen”, click on “Troubleshoot”.

e)       Click “Advanced Options” in the “Troubleshoot” screen.

f)        In the “Advanced Options” screen, select “System Restore”.

g)       Follow the on screen instructions to restore the computer to an earlier state when the computer was working fine.

Hope this is helpful. Please get back to us with the result. We’ll be glad to assist you further.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.