Windows 8 automatic repair looping, this IS how to fix it!!

Well I know for sure whats happened to everyones computers, one word though DO NOT WIPE YOUR HARD DISKS THINKING YOU'VE LOST YOUR FILES!!!!!!!!!!!

What happened for some reason to me anyway! Is I installed Windows 8 onto 1 of my hard drives, it worked fine for a couple of days THEN did what has been happening to everyone else! Endless cycle of automatic repair! Nothing happened, it couldn't 'fix' the 'problem' the reason for that is because Windows 8 had locked the hard drive down to such an extent the automatic repair option itself COULDN'T fix the problems, and never would have been able to because it also couldn't see the very drive it was attempting to fix!! So it would have always been stuck in the endless loop with no solution!

Well the problem was this! Windows 8 (as mentioned) for whatever reason had LOCKED the drive aka taken control of the drive it was installed on, when I say taken control I mean made the drive essentially invisible to anything! Such as if you try to go into a folder that you don't have access to it says access denied! (That was in windows 7 might I add!!!! MORE ON THAT IN A SECOND!)

Anyway I booted into Windows 7 and all it said was my D:\ drive was NTFS, right clicking it and selecting properties said it was 0 BYTES, well it can't have been as it's a 1TB hard drive.... And I thought oh **** I've lost all my backed up documents etc! Anyway I right clicked the drive again selected PROPERTIES then the SECURITY tab, my Windows 7 username WASN'T listed in there to have access to the drive (remember I said Windows 8 had LOCKED it...) anyway on the SECURITY tab I clicked where it says TO CHANGE PERMISSIONS CLICK EDIT, so I clicked edit which then showed me the GROUPS OR USERNAMES section!

So I clicked ADD then typed my username and clicked check names, it then showed my username UNDERLINED so I clicked OK and selected the option FULL CONTROL in the PERMISSIONS FOR AUTHENTICATED USERS section (which is directly below the GROUPS OR USERNAMES section!) It then did a lot of applying security info or some such! And I could then see ALL the files in Windows Explorer on Windows 7.

Anyway I then couldn't access a LOT of the folders soooo I then went back into the SECURITY TAB (as I mentioned earlier) and clicked ADVANCED which has the sections,

PERMISSIONS
AUDITING
OWNER
EFFECTIVE PERMISSIONS

I then did the same as earlier clicked ADD then typed my username and clicked check names then clicked OK, but on the AUDITING tab I clicked REPLACE ALL EXISTING INHERITABLE AUDITING ENTRIES ON ALL DESCENDANTS WITH INHERITABLE AUDITING ENTRIES FROM THIS OBJECT so I had access to all MY folders!!

It worked! BUT I noticed ALL the folders/files had padlocks on them! Which was annoying! Anyway to get round that you do as before, go back into the SECURITY TAB click ADD then type the username EVERYONE and click check names then click OK, that removes the padlock!

I then reinstalled Windows 8 after manually deleting ALL the program files/program files (x86)/users/windows/ folders etc (perhaps I didn't have to?? as I didn't try to boot back into it after I'd done all that) bear in mind it does indeed take a knowledgeable person to do what I've just explained BUT it can be done and you HAVE NOT lost all your files!! You just can't see them because Windows 8 locked the entire drive!!!!!!

Good luck!

P.S) Bear in mind this worked for me as I had Windows 7 installed separately on another physical hard drive, because I figured Windows 8 would cause some problem or other! So glad I did as well! And i'm certain this will work for everyone who does what I explained to the letter!

HOW MICROSOFT DIDN'T KNOW THIS OR ANY OF THERE SUPPORT TEAM IS BAFFLING!!

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,291 Applies to:

Method A: Reset Windows security settings back to the defaults (Rated: Easy

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220#MethodA

You might want to look at that page. 

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Or you might want to? What you linked to does NOT tell them how to do what I said needs to be done!

What you linked to only tells them how to do it on a pre-existing windows setup where ALL drives are already visible! As I've already mentioned in my post, what I said needs to be done is the only way it can be done!

Remember the drive is inaccessible and needs to have it's security settings changed manually by doing what I said! Not by typing commands here there and everywhere.

Trust me I've done everything I said to do on my own PC and if people want to save there files it's the only way to do it!

Sorry this didn't help.

FIXED THE Windows 8.1 "Preparing Automatic Repair" Message.

Just had the dreaded "Preparing Automatic Repair" message
on Dell tablet VenuePro 11

- hadnt done anything weird that day, next morning get message.
"Preparing Automatic Repair"
message dissapears after 30 seconds , to blank screen with mouse support ( no keys working)
- waited 1 hour nothing else happned.
- power cable was half-in overnight:- flat battery , might have had something to do with it? - recharged to 30%

Had a good look round the forums, lots of people have the problem,

no sure fire ways to fix it though.

So what did I do?

- Tried taking battery out / in several times -  no luck
- tried BIOS tests ( VolUp+Power ) - no luck ( All tests passed OK)
- tried BIOS ( VolDown+Power ) then Exit - no luck
- tried BIOS Disable USB port , save , then exit - no luck

On a different Windows 8.1 PC
Created Recovery Drive on a Micro USB card
(NB it wipes the USB card/stick, so copy all the files to somewhere else.)
- Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Recovery  > Create a recovery drive ( needs 16GB )
- slot in the Micro USB card
- Reboot , message appears again "Preparing Automatic Repair"
- then another message - Your PC did not restart Correctly ( no shirt sherlock!)
- select option to restart normally and up she comes no bother, as if nothing had happened!
- no messages or anything, just working as normal.

- no lost files

- Didnt have to reinstall anything

- Only took 5 hours!

Lots of good tips here to try:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/my-windows-8-is-stuck-in-automatic-repair/4b866eb1-394d-494f-bd2c-f43538e76b6e?rtAction=1403346638982

Sorry this didn't help.