Windows 8 Automatic Repair loop; recovery options not working

Hi all,

Recently was running a backup program and suddenly I get the Windows 8 blue error screen (the one with the mocking ':(' icon) and system dies. I turn on and it seems to booting very slowly then it proceeds to do the pre login screen installation of updates. After half an hour or so and with updates on around 70%, system dies again. Now when I turn the machine on it appears to alternate between either hanging for ever on the Win8 loading screen or attempting to run an 'Automatic Repair' which invariably results in a blank screen and no fix.

Having read several 'Automatic Repair loop' posts on the net, it appears I need to load the recovery disc and run repair or restore programs from there. Of course the CD I made failed (crappy disc?) so I had to search my original licence email and use the provided link to download and create a new installation disc from a working machine. This disc loads and gives me the option to install Win 8 (presumably a fresh install with loss of files) or a troubleshoot menu. Running the automatic repair option results in a rather inane 'Couldn't do it' message and gives a blank path to a log file. The system restore option prompts me to 'Restart and select operating system before trying this' and i'm not sure how to do this as no such option is given at boot.

If it helps, this blog post details what appears to be almost identical symtoms to the ones my system is experiencing http://www.selarom.net/blog/2012/09/01/windows-8-woes Looks like he/she had no luck solving this though ....... :( 

Any help greatly appreciated,
James

Question Info

Last updated July 18, 2018 Views 1,796 Applies to:

Hi,

What’s the complete error message you get when trying to perform automatic repair?

Method 1: You may try to boot the computer using the Windows 8 DVD and try performing an Automatic repair. 

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 8 computer follow these steps:

a)      Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer

b)      In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘Language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c)       Click Next and select Repair the computer.

d)      You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.

e)      You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

Method 2: Perform System restore from Winre

You may try to boot from the Windows 8 DVD and try performing a System Restore from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

To perform System Restore on Windows 8 computer follow these steps:
a. Restart the Windows 8 computer, press & HOLD Shift+F8, until you see the option Choose an operating system.
b. When you see the screen Choose an operating system, click on Change defaults or choose other options.
c. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select advanced options.
d. You may choose System Restore from Advanced boot option

If the issue is not resolved, please reply with more information and we will be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Vikrant,

As I said, the Win8 recovery disks didn't help in that they were giving unhelpful messages. 

I had better looks with Hiren's boot cd which found many bad sectors on the drive but since then the drive has now failed totally.

You got lucky this time Windows 8, but I got my eye on you!!

Of course thanks all the same for your help, Vikrant

Sorry this didn't help.

Bring back F8 SAFE MODE

Sorry this didn't help.