Windows 8 and 7 dual boot black screen?

Hi, I recently installed Windows 8 with Windows 7 as a dual boot PC. I have been using windows 8 only for a few days. Today, I went into windows 7 to get some files. After restarting the PC, I cannot boot to the selection page. After the windows logo with the spinning thing down there, It give a error message "Your PC ran into a problem and we have to restart it" for a few seconds then comes the screen with "preparing automatic repair" for awhile. After awhile, it is a black screen with just a cursor. Help me? Thanks
Hi Bryan,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that you can try to resolve this problem.

Let's disconnect the externally connected devices(except keyboard and mouse) and manually restart the computer then perform automatic repair.

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 8 computer follow these steps:

a.     Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer.

b.     Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

c.     Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

d.     Click next and select Repair your computer.

e.     You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select advanced options.

f.      You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

If you face any further issues, please reply to this post and we'll be happy to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 432 Applies to: