Windows 8: 0xc000021 - refresh, reset, system restore, automatic repair all failed

Ok, so I'm running an Asus A53 with a core i7 and an nVidia Geforce GT 560M....   I upgraded it to windows 8 from windows 7 in december with no problems, and it has run great since then.  However, after I was finished recording a show today it froze and I was forced to shut it off with the power button.  Since then it won't restart.  When I try to turn the system on it says attempting repairs and after a while takes me to the "Choose an option" screen.  I go to troubleshoot and have tried Refreshing - which failed "There was a problem refreshing your pc".   I've also tried Resetting, with the same result.  Attempting to do a system restore (on a restore point I made less than a week ago) also fails.  Automatic repair just attempts to repair, fails, restarts, and brings me back to the "Choose an option" screen.   Is there any advice anyone could give me as to what steps I should take now?  The windows 8 install was from a download and I do not have installation media for that.  Nor do I have my window 7 installation media (I moved and the materials that originally came with the laptop seem to have disappeared.    Thank you for any suggestions.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2019 Views 688 Applies to:

The email when you did the upgrade to win8 will have not only your windows key but a link to download the upgrade .iso 

Sounds like that is what you need.

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.