usb 3.0 ports not working on windows 8 after upgrading my samsung 700 Z

I have recently updated my Samsung 700 z computer from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I was warned by the upgrade assistant that following installation, some programs (listed below) would need further review. Of these, I was particularly concerned about the ones in bold (the Intel wireless proset software, and the Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver), but I went ahead and installed windows 8 anyway, hoping to re-install these afterwards. Despite this, after installation was complete, I was unable to find and re-install these programs online, and I am now having many problems with my barely month-old computer, including non-functional USB ports, and random crashes and restarts. My computer is also extremely slow.

I would be very grateful if someone who knows anything about this could tell me how to fix it. I am only marginally computer-literate, and have given up trying to search for the answer online. 

Thanks so much!

Upgrade Assistant details for my Windows 8 setup:

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
Model: 700Z3C/700Z5C
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 8.1
For you to review
Install an app to play DVDs
You may need to install an app to play DVDs in Windows 8.
More info
Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.
More info
Easy Settings
Samsung Electronics CO., LTD., Version 1.1

Go to the app website for help
Easy Software Manager
Samsung Electronics CO., LTD., Version 1.2.17.12

Easy Support Center
Samsung Electronics CO., LTD., Version 1.2.22

Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology
Intel Corporation, Version 2.0.0.0086

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
Intel Corporation, Version 1.0.1.209

Not compatible
Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - English
Microsoft Corporation, Version 14.0.4763.1000

Not compatible
Samsung Kies
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Version 2.0.0.11044_11

Not compatible
Samsung Recovery Solution 5
Samsung, Version 5.0.2.4

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Adobe Systems Incorporated, Version 10.3.181.34

Update available
Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless for Bluetooth(R) 3.0 + High Speed
Intel Corporation, Version 15.0.0.0059

Reinstall it in Windows 8
Intel(R) WiDi
Intel Corporation, Version 3.0.12.0

Intel(R) Wireless Display

iTunes
Apple Inc., Version 11.0.1.12

Remove authorized PCs
Norton Internet Security
Symantec Corporation, Version 19.9.0.9

Update available

Hi Caroline,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft Community Forums.

As per the description, I see that the USB3.0 (universal serial bus Controller) is not working after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

To help you better, please answer this question:

What is the model of the computer?

I would suggest you to follow the methods provided to fix the issue:

Method 1: Run the maintenance troubleshooter.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:
a. Open Search by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer down), and then tapping or clicking Search.
b. Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings.
c. Now type maintenance Troubleshooter in the search option.
d. Click on maintenance troubleshooter to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Run the Hardware troubleshooter and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:
a. Open Search by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer down), and then tapping or clicking Search.
b. Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings.
c. Now type Hardware Troubleshooter in the search option.
d. Click on Hardware troubleshooter to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3: Clean Boot

Perform clean boot to identify if any 3rd party service is causing this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After performing the troubleshooting steps in clean boot, follow Step 3 from the link to start the computer to Normal start up mode.

Note: I would recommend you to install the latest Windows Updates.

Method 4: You may check after uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers if you are able to connect. You may disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

Please uninstall the USB drivers.
a. Press Windows + X, Click Device Manager.
b. Expand USB (Universal Serial Bus) Adapters.
c. Right click on the each Adapter’s name and click uninstall.
d. After uninstalling the all the drivers please restart the computer, as restart the computer will install the drivers automatically.

If the issue sill persists I would request you to check for chipset driver updates which you can get at the manufacturer website. The chipset drivers normally incorporate USB controller drivers as well.

Refer to the link:

Install USB 3.0 and other USB devices  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/install-usb-3-usb-devices

For Windows related issue or anything related to Windows Operating System, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

To help you better, please answer this question:

What is the model of the computer?

Hello, and thank you for answering my comment so quickly. I am about to try some of your suggestions now. In the meantime, in answer to your question above, the model of my computer is:

Samsung 700Z3C/700Z5C

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Vikrant,

Thanks again for your help. I have now tried your suggestions above, and none of them have worked for me, unfortunately.

I have been going through and trying to re-install all the apps that Windows 8 had various issues with. So far, despite Intel releasing several updates for Windows 8, I have had trouble installing all of them. I have tried to reinstall Intel PRO/Set wireless, and this fails in the middle of installation. This also happened when I attempted to re-install Intel Wireless display, and Intel Graphics 4000. 

Like I mentioned before, I am also having frequent problems with my computer crashing, stalling, restarting and freezing. If I leave my computer for 15 minutes, it crashes and freezes by the time I get back. Like I mentioned in a previous post, my computer was brand new in December, and was of mid-range price with excellent specifications. All the problems I am having now appear to be as a result of installing windows 8. As you can imagine, this is very stressful, and as a person with little computer experience, I have no idea what to do.

I wondered if you could tell me why my computer might be having issues with freezing and crashing?Am I likely to have un-installed something essential for my PC when I installed Windows 8? Should I try and re-installl Windows 7 to fix these problems?

Thanks so much again.

Sorry this didn't help.

From my understanding, Microsoft hasn't addressed the issue.  I have the same problem and it still hasn't been addressed.  I feel Microsoft is just ignoring it and hoping you buy a new motherboard.  Its bad for me because I had just updated my motherboard and USB 3.0 was working great until the Windows 8 upgrade.  So the issue, from what I have read, is Microsoft took over writing the drivers but didn't do it in a way that would address all computers, because ASUS isn't supplying the drivers for Windows 8 and they said its because Microsoft is writing the drivers, or something like that.  So for me its, oh well  plus one Microsoft, minus one for me....Look like I will not enjoy my USB 3.0 until I rebuild  my whole system in a couple years.

Sorry this didn't help.

I thought that Microsoft handled the Windows 8 upgrade very poorly, and I was really frustrated by the lack of answers I got from this particular forum. Eventually, I managed to find a number for Microsoft, and in fairness to them, the adviser I spoke to fixed all my issues (my computer is still a bit slow on starting up, but my USB ports are now working fine).

If I were you, give them a ring on 08448 002400 (that was the number I rang from the UK, anyway). The adviser I spoke to was able to fix all the problems remotely (I think what he did was change my USB setting to a Windows 7 compatibility option), and now that works fine. I also discovered that my disk drive had stopped working after the upgrade, but he fixed this too.

I think my problem was I assumed I had to fix all this myself (which is really hard for someone who knows little about computers), but actually, it seems the Microsoft support did cover all the problems I was having after all.

I would try giving them a call. I hope it helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 7, 2019 Views 3,331 Applies to: