unexpected kernel mode trap windows 8

hello i get blue unexpected kernel mode trap error very often and i have to restart the pc.
I havent install andy hardware recently
these are the dump files https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E02CD828B3C0B138!309&authkey=!AArZupRQ_RWcl5w

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

From the issue description, I see that you are getting Blue Screen of Death along with error message "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" on Windows 8.

Let’s start with some questions.
1. What is the make and model of the computer?
2. What is the exact\complete error message?

Here are few steps which you can try for resolving the issue like clean boot, update drivers , SFC scan etc.

These steps I have described in the following methods.
Method 1
Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc) except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up. If this fixes the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue. Then update driver software for that particular device.

Method 2
Step 1

I would suggest you to start the computer in Safe mode and check if the issue persists. To start the computer with minimal set of drivers and files, refer the link.
Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)
http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows-8/Windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode
Step 2
If the issue is resolved you may put the computer in clean boot and check if it helps.
By setting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.
How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, referHow to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot.

Method 3
Run the System File Checker (SFC) scan to fix any corrupted files. Follow these steps:
a) Boot to the desktop view.
b) Open command prompt, right click in theleft corner when theStart window appear and select command prompt (admin).
c) Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Method 4
Update the latest graphics/display drivers from the manufacturer’s website. If Windows 8 drivers are not available, you can install Windows 7 drivers in compatibility mode. Follow these steps:
a) Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.
b) Type compatibility in the search box and then press enter.
c) Click “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” option from the list appeared in the left side.
d) Select the drivers and install.

Method 5

I want you to follow the steps and check.

a. Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
b. Scan your computer for computer viruses.
c. Check your hard disk for errors.

I also want you to follow the link and instructions mentioned in the link.

Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (Windows Debuggers)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/library/windows/hardware/ff559244(v=vs.85).aspx

Hope the above information helps.
Do get back to us and let me know the status of the issue or if you need further assistance regarding Windows.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have same problem but only with one user.  I have set up two accounts on my computer and my son's is the one that is is happening with.  I have a Lenovo G50 laptop w/ Windows 8.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2021 Views 18,466 Applies to: