unable to access safe mode, system restore or advanced startup

Hey guys, hoping you can help with a machine I'm trying to fix. As per the title, I cannot access any administrator functions, most importantly safe mode or system restore. Whatever this virus is, it even locks me out of task manager. To be clear, I can access the desktop, but it does me no good, as I cannot access any of the functions that would be useful to me. Even the pop-out menu bar on the right side doesn't work. I have tried at least a dozen times to access safe mode via the shift-F8 method (which I have read has been removed from windows 8, heaven knows why), I never receive the option to choose, it always just goes straight to startup. I have run the automatic repair via hitting just F8 during boot a half dozen times. Each time, it says windows could not boot properly and asked me if I wanted to restore. I would say yes, but after it finishes it has solved nothing, apparently the restore point it is using, if it's succeeding, is too new. So I have two questions: Anyone know what I can do short of wiping the entire HDD? And what the **** is wrong with you Microsoft, removing the shift-F8 function?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft community.

The Safe mode option is available in Windows 8 however the steps have changed. Refer the link and follow the steps.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Let us know if you have any other questions in Windows.

Vinod Archak
Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

if you can access Cmd with admin rights u can restore safe mode to windows 8

estore F8 safe mode to windows 8

1. Run Command prompt as Admin
2. Type:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

3. Ensure operation completed successfully
4. Restart system and you'll find F8 works.

or

1) In MSCONFIG, under "BOOT" make sure there is a decent timeout, say 10 seconds.
2) Next, launch admin command prompt and ensure you are at C:\windows\system32. Now type the following and hit enter:

reagentc /enable

You will get a message "Operation completed successfully". Exit command prompt.
 also if u can access cmd open with admin type sfc /scannow
3) Restart. You should get a boot menu with your regular boot entries plus
"To specify more options for this choice, press F8"
Now, with Windows 8 boot entry highlighted, press F8.
4) In the next screen, you'll get the option to press F1-F9 for all the safe mode stuff etc.
At the bottom, there'll be an option to press F10 for more options.
5) Hit F10. Now you should see a menu to launch recovery menu.
6) Press the recovery menu option and you're taken to the familiar window.
 i have tested on windows 8 pro and safe mode is working

Sorry this didn't help.

**** reply, did not even answer the question originally posed. As i have the same problem. Cannot even access safe mode from reboot in windows 8i.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem it is kicking my butt I have tried everything. I cannot access the admin command prompt I am not able to access the task manager I am not able to do anything that requires permissions even though I am the admin. I have scanned the hard drive in and out nothing not even cookies this worries me I should at the very least have something. This machine is seriously messed up I do not want to reimage it as I want to find the problem. I believe next I am going to boot from kali and take a different approach. I have used Kaspersky Mcafee still nothing is showing. pulled drive scanned on another computer. If I open a command prompt and try to run anything that would require elevated privledges it locks up that command prompt and I cannot access the admin prompt. Also when I run regedit also locks up from run. This is a serious virus or rootkit any help would be appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 576 Applies to: