System Service Exception error on Windows 8 + System Restore Troubles

Hello. Around Christmas time, I got an HP computer with preinstalled Windows 8. A few days later, I was experiencing BSODs with the message "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION". I managed to fix this with System Restore. Now, I am having the same issues, but this time, System Restore refuses to work. My computer goes through the System Restore, then starts back up, telling me that it was not able to complete. I was told to turn off my antivirus in case that was creating an issue. I turn off my antivirus protection, tried once more, but it is still telling me that it was unable to complete it. What's the deal?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 891 Applies to:

Hi Lylat,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forum!

Based on the issue description, it appears that you are getting an error “System Service Exception error” on Windows 8 and unable to perform system restore.

- Were there any recent changes made on the computer prior to the issue?

I can understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will certainly help you out with this issue.

Let’s try these methods and update us with the results.

Method 1: I would suggest you to test the issue in Safe Mode.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Safe mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services. If a problem doesn't reappear when you start in safe mode then place the computer in clean boot and check.

Step 1: Clean boot.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: To reset the computer to normal mode after troubleshooting, please follow “How to reset the computer to start as usual” from the above article.

Method 2: Run a memory diagnostic and check.

a. Press Windows logo button and F key on your keyboard.

b. In this window, you can find a small search bar. In this search bar enter Diagnose your computer’s memory problem, click on search button and search using Settings option. Follow the instructions to run it.

Method 3: Temporarily disable security software and check.

Warning: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

You may also try uploading the Minidump files using SkyDrive:

Use SkyDrive to upload the collected files:

If the issue persists or you have further questions on Windows, please do not hesitate to let us know. It is our pleasure to be of assistance.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not entirely sure how this works, but I uploaded the minidump files here.

(Link)

Thank you very much for your help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.