Stuck at login, windows not responding

For no reason my windows 8 machine today now doesn't let me login anymore.

The PC boots, get to the windows 8 login screen (the one with the green landscape, the tower, the clock)...

That screen simply doesn't work anymore, I can't get the password login screen to show up, the mouse and keyboard seem dead.

The keyboard is working cause I can get into the BIOS pre-boot and it's functioning.

But I couldn't get into safe mode neither can I login to the machine anymore.

The clock on the login screen is working so it's an indication that the machine did not "freeze".

The symbol for network is also responsive, if I plug/unplug the network cable it properly updates the little icon.

But the mouse and keyboard don't work at all so I can't login or do anything with the computer.
Finally managed to get into safe mode (what a hassle to get into that screen), and it's still unresponsive !

Seems like a lot of people are having this problem

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprohardware/thread/06e9b341-0619-4085-acbf-e2f0133ca428/

I was using the computer this afternoon and the keyboard is working on bios and in safe boot menu, but once it gets into windows 8 it stops working.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had this problem today. I solved it by forcing a shutdown. Not just pressing the Power button and letting windows do a shutdown, but holding it in for 10 seconds so windows can't hibernate the kernel (Essentially forcing a full reboot instead of the hybrid boot it normally does.)

Sorry this didn't help.

I did hundreds of shutdowns, wasted almost 8 hours trying to repair windows with everything I could find on the internet.

Nothing worked.

Solution ? As always, reinstall windows... And this time I'll make sure I stay away of those weird MS mouse/keyboard drivers that windows update installs every month and are good for nothing !

Sorry this didn't help.

i solved mine through force shutdown. 

if you have set your power button to hibernate, you might want to unplug your pc from the socket while it is on. if you are using a laptop, remove the battery plug the charger, turn it on, unplug the charger then put back the battery.

although this method solved my problem, i recommend you to follow this instruction carefully. I am not liable of any damage this method might cause.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 244 Applies to: