Sony Vaio machine with spanish trial version of windows 8 giving problems to upgrade

I purchased a Sony Vaio which had a spanish version trial windows 8 and then I purchased the 64 bit windows 8 upgrade and installed from the DVDs.   The install still does not allow me to replace the language at log in and a few other areas.   Also, I purchased Office 365 and the download cannot install nor can I install the skype and all other free apps which come with it.  There seems to be something preventing the installs.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forums and thank you for posting the question.

As per the description, you are unable to upgrade the purchased Windows 8 using DVDs. Let's analyze and identify the cause of the issue.

Please answer few questions to narrow down the issue.

Have you purchased Spanish language version of Windows 8? If yes, what happens when you tried to upgrade?

If you have purchased a different language upgrade pack of Windows, it is not possible to upgrade the operating system. You may have to purchase the same version to upgrade.

If you have purchased Windows 8 from Microsoft Store, I would suggest you to contact Store to get the product replaced.

Sales and support

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Site_Contact_Us

Hope this information helps. Provide more information regarding the issue so that we could help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The spanish version of windows 8 came with the machine as I purchased the machine in Panama at the International airport.   I understand that this was a trial version.   I did not wish to wait for the end of the trial as it was all in spanish so I proceeded to buy the windows 8 - DVD pro upgrade  ( box version).  I also purchased Office 365 download version.

Since sending this message, I got support to do a clean install and it is all working however, the guys who assisted are not able to determine what in the Sony Vaio machine was preventing the downloads.  It seems Sony has built in software and it seems there could be some security but no one is sure.  

My fear is that it could at some point revert to this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Marie,

Thank you for replying back.

To check whether there is any third party programs, place the computer in clean boot and check for the issue.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Once you are done with clean boot, please follow the section ‘How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot’ under ‘more information’ in the article to put your computer back to normal startup.

Hope this information helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 65 Applies to: