Shutdown Windows 8 during update installation

Hello, currently i have a laptop running windows 8. its been preforming great and i love the new OS. The other day i was getting pestered by the required updates prompt every 5 mins. I left the room to use the restroom, and when i came back it was at the green screen installing updates. I was already rushing to copy certain files before i leave for work, so i held the power button and shut it off. From there i turned the laptop back on, bios, then the blue windows icon on the all black screen, then an all green screen showing installing updates "16%". At this point, windows refuses to progress past 16%. Maybe because it does have all of the files for the update that it's trying to install? I let it sit this way over night and still 16%. Next i restarted the laptop and at bios shift+f8 and the blue windows icon and all black screen is showing "attempting to repair files" This always fails, and takes me to the recovery menu, ive tried to run a refresh, it stops and says "unable to refresh pc", i try system restore "unable to run a system restore" i try to run the start pc, "unable to restart pc" Ive tried using boot in safe mode. When i boot in safe mode, bios, then all black screen with blue windows logo and freezes here forever. Whats next? Am i going to have to borrow a windows 8 dvd from a friend and try a repair? will that even work? i notice the option to use command prompt, will this work? Whats commands would i even use? i believe this has something to do with the update. 

**update** upon normal booting, it no longer goes to the green 16% screen. it actually stops before that at the plain black blue windows logo screen with the dots circling forever. process stops here. 

I have files that id like to keep on there for i hope we can repair windows and access my old desktop. ideally. 

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2020 Views 9,506 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

I understand that the computer is unable to boot to the desktop after interrupting the installation of Windows updates.

I suggest you to perform the following steps and check if it helps.

If you don’t have a Windows 8 DVD, you can refer to the article mentioned below to know how to create a bootable USB for Windows 8.

How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

I suggest you to change the first boot priority to DVD\USB if you are not able to get the boot menu when you insert a DVD\USB.
BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Method 1:

Since you can be able to view command prompt window, I suggest you to run System restore from here and check.

Type rstrui.exe. and try to perform System Restore.

Method 2: Perform an Automatic repair using Windows 8 bootable DVD or USB drive and check if that helps.

Follow these steps to perform Automatic repair

a) Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 8 from it.
b) In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘Language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
c) Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
d) Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

Method 3:

If the issue persists even after performing automatic repair you may try to boot from the Windows 8 DVD and try performing a System Restore from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

To perform System Restore on Windows 8 computer follow these steps:

a. Restart the Windows 8 computer, press & HOLD Shift+F8, until you see the option Choose an operating system.
b. When you see the screen Choose an operating system, click on Change defaults or choose other options.
c. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.
d. You may choose System Restore from Advanced boot option.

You can also refer to the article mentioned below for more information.

“Windows hangs or freezes”

Follow the section “Windows 8”:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope this helps.

For any issues related with Windows, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.