Inserting SanDisk 64GB MicroSD card in Lenovo Yoga 13 laptop prevents from Sleep/Shutdown.

Original title: SD Card Preventing Sleep/Shutdown?

Hello,

After searching for an answer to this recent issue on my Lenovo Yoga 13 Windows 8 hybrid, I haven't found an answer, so here goes.

I recently purchased a SanDisk 64GB MicroSD card with adapter, and placed it in the card slot.  Since then, the computer will not enter sleep mode when I close the lid (like it did prior to inserting the SD card) nor will invoking the shutdown command actually shut the computer down on its own.  I have to actually pop the SD card out for anything to happen -- as soon as I pop the SD card out of the slot, the invoked shutdown command completes, and shuts the computer down, or the computer will enter sleep mode (when the lid is closed).

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this behavior with the SD card?  On my old Windows 7 laptop, which I upgraded to Windows 8, this behavior doesn't happen when I have an SD card inserted into the slot (though admittedly I haven't tried the new 64GB card with my old HP).

Anyone who knows anything about these new Win8 hybrid laptop/tablets, they have the SSD HD drives, and in my case, 128 GB.  I wanted to throw at least a 64 GB SD card in the slot for some extra storage (particularly for videos), and until I started using the SD card, the computer worked flawlessly, shutting down and/or sleeping with no problems.  But now, I have to actually pop the SD card out in order to get the computer to sleep or shut down.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Vince "BereanPK"

Hi Berean,

The issue description seems a bit unclear and I would like to have a better understanding before we start working on it. I would really appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1. What exactly happens when you manually shutdown the computer when the SanDisk 64GB Micro SD card in inserted in the laptop? Do you receive any error code or message?

2. Did you check the issue by inserting different memory card to your laptop?

3. Have you made any recent hardware or software changes to your computer prior to the issue?

I would suggest you to try inserting SanDisk 64GB Micro SD card on a different computer which has Windows 8 operating system and check.

Please provide us more information about the exact issue to help you fix it as soon as possible.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there,

I am experiencing the same problem as you do, but I have a windows 7 32-bir laptop which I recently upgraded by putting a 120 gb ssd in it. I purchased a 64GB sdxc card to get some extra storage as well. In my case sometines it will shutdown sometimes it won't.
I can answer to Mahesh' first question: When you shutdown you firtst see that the computer is logging out but then it just stays on shutting down until you remove the sd card. When you do that suddenly it will finish the shutdown as strange as it sounds. I haven't tried it with any other sd cards because I don't have any other sd cards.

I re-installed my laptop because it fell on the ground and the hdd was a bit out of control and half of my files were broken so I wanted to use an ssd now.

I hope this helped a bit.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2019 Views 3,541 Applies to: