Random reboots on Samsung laptop - event id 41 task 63

Hello

I have recently (end of October) allowed my Windows 8 to update to 8.1.

I have had ~15 random reboots in the last 24 hours with the "Critical Structure Corruption" error BSOD and the event viewer shows Power-Kernel error event ID 41 task 63.

I have tried SAFE MODE and it will run for hours without any problems but when I try NORMAL or CLEAN BOOT it starts random shutdown errors again. I have tried to find obvious problems in the event viewer without any luck. I have tried reinstalling Chipset, Bluetooth, LAN, and Sound Drivers but the problem continues.  I have also reset my power management options and selected 256 kb dump output for errors.

I am running 64 Bit Windows 8.1 Pro with 8GB of RAM. The laptop is about a year old.
I did a refresh windows install about a month and a half ago because of an intermittent DVD-Player but I was not experiencing these problems then.

I have zipped the 4 most recent DMP files.

Please help me figure out what is wrong.

Thanks for your time

Sincerely,
Kraterdude

DMP file link
http://sdrv.ms/17ZXAbM

And here is my most recent event from the viewer:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          11/28/2013 6:49:42 PM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      Dewdrop
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>3</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-11-29T01:49:42.951043200Z" />
    <EventRecordID>7881</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Dewdrop</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">265</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xa3a01f5896bc1986</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0xb3b72bdee93b4f49</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0xffffe00001931990</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x1c</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Hi,

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

An event 41 is used to report that something unexpected happened that prevented Windows from shutting down correctly. There may be insufficient information to explicitly define what happened. To determine what may have happened and to identify a potential resolution, it is important to know what the computer was doing at the time just before the event occurred.

If event 41 is logged because power to the computer was interrupted, consider obtaining an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) such as a battery backup power supply. An underpowered or failing power supply may cause this behavior. For example, if you added RAM or additional devices or hard disks when this problem began, the power supply may cause the problem.

1. Overclocking: Disable overclocking to see whether the issue occurs when the system is run at the correct speed.
  2. Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
  3. Power supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
  4. Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware

Please reply if you have any questions.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello

Thank you for your response.

I am not overclocking.
I ran the windows memory diagnostic and it didn't find any errors.
The power supply is stock (laptop from Samsung)
I used a bit of compressed air to clean dust out of the fan vent yesterday and the problem persists. I also note that the fan turns on when needed to vent warmer air.

I am hoping someone can look at the dump files I attached in my first post and see if something might present itself as the possible culprit. I ran "Whocrashed" on my dump files but it didn't provide me with any clues/suggestions.

Thanks again for your time.

Sincerely,
Kraterdude

Dump files are here:

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello to anyone that can offer some advice,

I'm still hoping someone will take a look at the following dump files and maybe suggest if there is a driver that might need replaced?

Thanks again for your time.

Sincerely,
Kraterdude

Dump files are here:

Sorry this didn't help.

As PINK FLOYD put it... Is there anybody out there?

This is an update to my Random Reboot problem:

I have had my laptop on all day in SAFE mode (with networking) and it has not rebooted once.

This suggests to me that the problem is not related to overheating or a power supply problem but instead that there is likely a problem with a driver or a Start menu program (something running in the TASK BAR).

I am still hoping someone would be kind enough to look through my memory dump files and see if there is a clue to help with this problem. My laptop is basically unusable for my needs at work and the situation hasn't improved these past 4 days.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me in fixing this problem.

Sincerely,
Kraterdude

My DMP file link is:

Sorry this didn't help.

Driver:  Ntoskrnl.exe

BCCode: 109    0x00000109

The CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION bug check has a value of 0x00000109. This indicates that the kernel has detected critical kernel code or data corruption.

Important Information If You Have Received a STOP Code

If you have received a blue screen error, or stop code, the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from data loss. A hardware device, its driver, or related software might have caused this error. If your copy of Windows came with your computer, call the manufacturer of your computer. If you purchased Windows separately from your computer, Microsoft provides support. To find contact information for Microsoft or your computer manufacturer Contact Support.

If you have experience with computers and want to try to recover from this error, follow the steps provided in the Microsoft article Resolving STOP (Blue Screen) Errors in Windows.

The following actions might prevent an error like this from happening again:

1. Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
  2. Scan your computer for computer viruses.
  3. Check your hard disk for errors.

Cause

There are generally three different causes for this bug check:

1. A driver has inadvertently, or deliberately, modified critical kernel code or data. Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and later versions of Windows for x64-based computers do not allow the kernel to be patched except through authorized Microsoft-originated hot patches. For more information, see Patching Policy for x64-based Systems.

2. A developer attempted to set a normal kernel breakpoint using a kernel debugger that was not attached when the system was started. Normal breakpoints (bp) can only be set if the debugger is attached at start time. Processor breakpoints (ba) can be set at any time.

3. A hardware corruption occurred. For example, the kernel code or data could have been stored in memory that failed.

BCCode: 109    0x00000109  <-- read this link|
http://www.faultwire.com/solutions-fatal_error/Modification-of-system-code-or-a-critical-data-0x00000109-*1262.html

Driver:  Ntoskrnl.exe

You can use BlueScreen Viewer to get more information on the code

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Follow the steps here to run Memory Diagnostics tool

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/6cde20/memory-diagnostics-tool-in-windows-8-consumer-preview/

Pat

As a responsible member of the community, please mark the reply that has resolved your issue. Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Smittychat,

Thanks for taking the time to give suggestions. I have decided to REFRESH my windows install and things seem to be doing OK.

All the best for the holidays.

Sincerely,
Kraterdude

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome. And the best to you as well.

Pat

As a responsible member of the community, please mark the reply that has resolved your issue. Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,218 Applies to: