POST WINDOWS 8 upgrade issues: Missing DLL files, Previously Installed Programs there but not showing or working etc.

At work have upgraded a Windows 7 Professional Lenovo laptop to Windows 8 Pro upgrade disk.  I have updated 8 other PC's in the office without any really major hitches but this one has been painful.

After all the Windows 8 setup I tried to login and I find out the keyboard on the laptop does not match what is being typed on the screen e.g. the @ symbol has swapped with the " symbol, I thought it was a login issue but it's the same when using anything in Windows as well, I have no idea why this has happened - but this isn't the real problem.

Once inside Windows 8 it's really buggy:
  • I try to open Control Panel and pin it to the task bar through the Search window and it then looks up on the Search window after clicking to open the Control Panel icon.  When Control Panel eventually opens it comes up with a small pop warning window saying: "Power Manager - An error occurred while loading resource DLL".
  • With all the other Windows 7 upgrades all of the personal files and applications were still installed when the Windows 8 upgrade was completed.  However, when I go to the Search window or the task bar none of the previously installed applications are listed so I can't open them.  I thought this strange considering I didn't have any issues with other laptops.  So I went to Control Panel > Programs and Features and funnily enough all of the previously installed programs like Microsoft Office 10 are still showing as installed programs, in fact of all of the previously installed programs are listed.
  • So in relation to the previous issue of all programs showing up as installed, I thought I'd find those programs through Windows Explorer.  I did a search for Microsoft Office 10 programs in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14 and sure enough the application files were there for there for all the programs.  When I tried to open Outlook I got the following warning: OUTLOOK.EXE - System Error - The program can't start because MSVCR90.dll is missing from your computer.  Try installing the program to fix this problem.  Also tried to other programs but nothing was opening.
  • The fact that Windows 8 was missing some files I thought the install didn't go to plan so I tried to reinstall the Windows 8 Pro upgrade only to find I still had the same issues as above once the reinstall was completed.
  • I tried to downgrade back to Windows 7 using the Lenovo Recovery disk and I got the BSOD and had to shut it down.
So here I am trying to figure out what I need to do to fix this Windows 8 upgrade so that I stop getting these DLL errors and have my programs that are sitting on the hard drive actually work.  I'm at the point where I want to do a clean install and format everything and start afresh but I don't know if I can do that with just a Windows 8 Pro upgrade disk.  Any help would be great to fix this up.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2019 Views 2,640 Applies to:

Hi Carl,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Based on the information you have provided, I understand that you are facing issues with keyboard and Opening control panel in Windows 8.  I will certainly help you with this issue.

1.      What is the model number of your computer?

2.      Did you run the Windows 8 upgrade assistant tool before installing Windows 8?

Please follow the methods.

Method 1:

Run the system file checker scan and check if that helps.

a)            Move the mouse pointer to bottom left of the screen where you see preview of start menu and Right-click to bring up a list of Windows settings.

b)            Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt. Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for permission.

c)            In the command prompt type in the following command: ‘sfc /scannow’.

Method 2:

Follow the steps to reinstall Windows 8.

Refer to the link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/install#1TC=t1

NOTE: Please backup all your data before starting the installation.

For issues related to Outlook, I would suggest you to contact Outlook Support team for assistance. They should be able to help you.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/outlook

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forum.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.