Question

PC Needs to be repaired, File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe, Error Code: 0xc000000e

AnthonyButtigieg asked on
I tried installing Windows 8 on my PC which was dual booting WIndows 7 from 2 different hard disks, and would choose between the 2 at startup.  So I deleted the partition of one Windows installation and installed Windows 8. All seemed to work fine, I could boot and choose between Windows 8 or 7 and both worked fine. Then I had upgraded a graphics driver in Win 8 and that caused problems with Win 8 starting with a black screen and nothing else. There were no restore points so I decide to start again by deleting the partition. I re installed Windows 8 but now when I boot up I get an error screen. 

"Recovery

Your PC need to be repaired

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Error Code: 0xc000000e
You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media, etc......

Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Start-Up Settings
Press F9 to use a different operating system.

It lets me boot from the other HD after pressing F9 a few times.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Anthony

185 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
GT_UKie replied on
I had exactly this problem with a Windows 8 machine with a hard drive only a couple of weeks old could not boot to Windows or Windows CD but managed to boot to recovery USB and followed the steps below.

Start by booting the computer with the recovery media inserted. The computer should load the CD or USB. (You may have to change the BIOS boot order to boot the USB drive first.)

Choose your language. Click Next
You will now see Install in the center of your screen. On the lower left side you will see Repair your computer.
Choose the repair option.

You will have several options including:
Refresh Your Computer
Restore Your Computer
Advanced Options

Choose Advanced Options.
Launch the command prompt
Enter the following commands one at a time hitting Enter after each command.
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
Reboot computer after the final command finishes
316 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress