My PC keeps restarting. It can't boot into the Win8/Win7 boot selection. Keeps restarting. Can't go into safe mode. Hard disk tested working fine. Any help fixing this?

Hi.

Basically, I have a Thinkpad X201Tablet. I have set it up to dual boot in Windows 7 and Windows 8.

I was using Windows 7 at that point of time, just shut down all my software and applications, then I put the PC into sleep mode.
After trying to wake it up from sleep, it comes up to the login page. However it does not show the login details. It only shows the login background picture. Other than that everything was missing for me to log in.

I tried using my finger print scanner. Nothing happens.

Then I pressed the power button, to hibernate the pc. The pc hibernated. And I then turned it on again. This time I went to grab my lunch. When I came back about 20 minutes later. It was still the same, it goes into the login page, but only just showing the background picture. There was no hard disk activity.

I then did a forced shut-down.

When I turned it back on, it went to the Thinkpad brand + 'press the blue thinkvantage button to enter setup' page. After that, it goes to black and keep resetting the PC to go back to that first page again. Normally, it should go to the Windows 8 boot selection page, where it chooses to boot in Windows 8 or Windows 7, but nothing is happening. Just keeps restarting.

I went into the BIOS setup, and only thing I could do was do a disk test. And according to the test, the hard disk was okay. I have even taken out the hard disk and I could access it no problems.

Anybody have any advice for me on how to fix this?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

It looks that you are unable to boot Windows 8 in your tablet as it keeps on restarting. I appreciate the efforts which you have taken to get the issue resolved.

Please write to us with the answer of the following question:

1) Were you able to boot Windows 8 earlier?
2) Did you make any software or hardware changes to your computer prior to this issue?
3) Do you get any error message after the computer restarts?

Please follow the methods given to boot to desktop.

You require a Windows 8 installation DVD to perform the steps. If you have a Windows 8 installation DVD then you can proceed with the methods or else you can follow the steps given to create a bootable DVD.

Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Media Player.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

After you have created a bootable to DVD you can go ahead and perform the methods given below.

Method 1: Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8 installation media.

This is an alternate way to boot the PC and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps given below. Insert the Windows 8 installation DVD in the DVD ROM and restart your computer.

a) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
f) Click Automatic Repair from Advanced Options screen.
g) Next, choose the operating system by clicking on its button.
h) Windows 8 will then look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Method 2: Perform System Restore from Advanced Options screen.

System Restore allows you to restore your computer to a previous state quickly and easily without losing any of your files or personal settings. Sometimes when you install programs or drivers, they may affect some of the system settings and prevent other programs from working correctly. You can use System Restore to revert these settings back to their previous state

Follow the steps:

a) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
f) Select System Restore.

After you perform System Restore your documents and files will always remain to their previous state.

I hope this resolves your issue, please write to us if you have any other issues related to Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello. Thank you for replying.

With regards to your questions:

1) Were you able to boot Windows 8 earlier?

- Yes. And it worked fine.

2) Did you make any software or hardware changes to your computer prior to this issue? 

- I installed the game "The Real Texas" from www.gog.com onto my PC and was playing it before I had to put my laptop to sleep mode. However, it is an indie retro style game, that did not do any or much software changes, so I think this should not be related to it. Other than that, no other software or hardware.

3) Do you get any error message after the computer restarts?

No. No error messages at all.

Unfortunately, I am currently out in the ocean (I work offshore on a ship) and my Windows 8 DVD is back home. I know I made a few mistakes here. I should have brought it out with me, as this was a new install and the risk of problems was there, but I forgot all about it.

And because of the low internet bandwidth on this vessel, I can't really download any big files. Nor do I know my product key number. Nor can I get anybody to get it for me and email it to me. Is there anyway to get the product key number based on my user id and log-in? If I can, then I can give downloading the Windows 8 Setup program a go. Or can I just use any other product key number instead? Does not have to match the one on my PC?

I can still access (via external usb connection) the hard disk and my partitions holding Windows 7 and Windows 8. I was hoping that there is some miracle fix, like copy xxx file into your windows 8 partition, or delete xxx file into your windows 8 partition to fix it. Any possibility of such?

Will it work if I clone my Windows 7 partition onto another hard disk, with no windows 8 on it, so therefore hoping that it bypasses the Windows 8 boot selection screen, and just boot Windows 7 directly?

Thank you so much for your kind advice. And Merry Christmas in advance.

Kevin.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a way to get into Safe Mode without a disk...You might be able to resolve the problem here.

Autorepair and Boot Repair are also available.

This is basically the same thing you would get with a installation disk and selecting REPAIR.

The biggest difference is that Refresh is not available.

1st   Restart your machine....then hit CTRL-ALT-DEL...before the BLUE WINDOW....this causes the
        machine to restart.

2nd  Again hit CTRL-ALT-DEL before the BLUE WINDOW.

3rd   Let the machine boot this time....it will start at PREPARING AUTOMATIC REPAIR, Then DIAGNOSE, And finally, ATTEMPTING REPAIRS. (about 10 minutes)

THEN the options will appear.

1) Select ... ADVANCED OPTIONS

2) This Window...Choose TROUBLESHOOT

3) Again select ADVANCED OPTIONS

4) Select ... WINDOWS STARTUP SETTINGS

5) Select ... RESTART

After Restart you will end up at the window F8 used to produce.

Total time on my machine...about 15 minutes...not fast, but no installation media necessary.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Slance310.

Nope did not work at all. The thing is... the computer itself is resetting before it goes into the blue screen. I tried resetting while it was at the 'Press XXX to go into BIOS settings' page but it won't work like you said.

Thanks for your advice anyway. Worth trying anything.

Regards, and Merry Christmas.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Try doing the Ctrl+Alt+Del just after that...there is a short window of time inbetween the POST and the start of Windows to hit the keys.

I have found that this has become more difficult on some of the newer machines due to how fast they go through this process.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah tried that as well. But the real question is when? I do it just as that screen goes off too. And I counted the 'seconds' / LED flashes on the harddisk before it goes into reboot, and tried it at different moments too. To no avail as well. Like you say, it is probably too fast, however my laptop is not that new anymore.

I wish that there was more information about how Windows 8 boot up and all that. Plus I understand that it boots differently on older systems with BIOS? They can't use UEFI? So that means that it is different on different PCs depending on if it was new or not?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I don't think the bios makes any difference, except that the UEFI bios seems to load faster, reducing the time to get in the Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

You want to do it just as POST blinks off.  You have to be quick with the keys.

If you are quick with your fingers, you should be able to enter it in less than 1\2 second.

It used to be simple to get into Safe Mode...just hit F8.

Not any more. You basically need a disk.  I found this trick out of frustration while hitting every key I could think of.

One other way you may trigger Win 8 to go to the Repair Mode is to power off with the Power Button when the POST blinks off.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you think that it could be a problem with the master boot record? Or if it was a problem, it would have had a no hard disk detected error message instead?

I was wondering if I could just temporary 'fix it' by changing the hard disk's master boot record or something so that it just loads from the Windows 7 partition instead of the windows 8 partition. At least I have a laptop to use out here in the ocean.

Unless the problem is in the Windows 7 partition instead, which the hard disk thinks it is supposed to load from and I have to force it to load back from Windows 8. Not sure how does Windows 8 handle the MBR, cause at the beginning, after you select the Windows 7 partition, it restarts and seem to have made it boot from Windows 7. Basically if I start with Windows 8, the windows 8 partition is my C drive. However if I choose to boot from Windows 7, the PC would restart and the windows 7 partition changes to my C drive. Which I thought was quite interesting before, just wondered how it did it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm don't knoiw how you could change the MBR without a disk, unless you have some third party partitioning software that is bootable.

You could probably repair your MBR with a Win 7 or Win 8 installation Disk, but you don't have one.

I know you have poor internet access, but you may be able to find a small bootable program to download to fix the MBR.

One thing I forgot to mention...try hitting escape when it gets to the logon page, if you can still get there. It took me quite awhile to figure out how to get back into Win 8 after waking up from sleep to the lock screen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. I managed to get Easeus Partition Manager to look at my hard disk and its partitions. Apparently, my Windows8_OS partition, is left as a 'logicial' drive, not 'primary'. Also my Windows7_OS partition is a 'primary' drive. So I am not sure if changing these two will help or may make things worst.

I can't get to the logon screen at all.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 27, 2020 Views 4,426 Applies to: