My desktop screen does not show the icons, when i start up from sleep or hibernation. Rendering it useless.

I have a new desktop with windows 8. When the computer goes into sleep, or switches itself off, and then i press any key to turn it back on. The desk top does not display the icons, rendering it useless. 

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2019 Views 14,022 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
The desk top screen displays the back ground and the task bar (with icons I have been using) along the bottom when it comes out of sleep but no icons in the desk top screen .

I can run the mouse over the icons in the bottom bar and when the box comes up i can't click on it to use it.

Both symptoms suggest that you have Second Screen set to Extended display and you are not looking at the monitor which those elements have been rendered on.   Use Second Screen to make sure that you have only one monitor specified.   E.g. press Win-P and use the appropriate button.

Alternatively, in the case of your open windows you can bring them back to the right screen by using the Taskbar thumbnail's Move command.   E.g. right-click a Taskbar thumbnail, choose Move and use your Cursor keys to bring the window back into view.   Note if the window is in the wrong state to be moved you will have to change its state first.   E.g. if it is already in a Maximized state out of view, you will have a Restore command available; use that and then you will see a Move command available for the window in its normal state.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Mike,

Thank you for bringing the issue to our attention.

You have reported you do not get any icons when you start the computer after sleep or hibernate. We need more information to assist you in a better way.

1.      Did you make any recent software and hardware changes on your computer?

2.      What is the make and model of your computer?

3.      Do you get any error message? If yes, what is the error message?

4.      When you say there are no icons, Is it a black screen?

5.      Are you able to see the icons when you restart the computer?

Please try these steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue with icons.

Method 1: Run Power troubleshooter and check if this helps.

a.       Press Windows + W key on the keyboard.

b.      Type troubleshooting in the search tab and press Enter.

c.       Click View all on left panel.

d.      Click Power, new window will popup.

e.       Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2: Try to start the computer in safe mode and also check in clean boot.

Step 1: Try to start the computer in safe mode and check if you still face the issue.

You may refer the link below

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Note: Please restart the computer to start in normal mode after troubleshooting.

Step 2: Try in Clean Boot and check if you still face the issue.

Please refer the link to start the computer in clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After the troubleshooting, make sure to boot your computer to normal mode by following the step 3.

Method 3: Run SFC SCAN. To run SFC / SCANNOW please follow the steps.

a.       Press Windows key + X and click Command Prompt.

b.      Type the command: sfc /scannow and press Enter.

c.       Restart the computer and check.

Note: The System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists with the starting after sleep mode, please get back to us. We are here to assist you.

Niyamath H Mohammed
Microsoft Community.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.