Lost programs and features after installing Windows 8

After installing 8 and going thru a refresh, I have lost several features.  Office 2010 disappeared, facial recognition quit working, camera gave a problem message, etc.  I did get a compatibility message for several of the programs when trying to reinstall.  Is there a solution to the compatibility problem and will Microsoft let you download office without a key

Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. 

I would appreciate it if you could answer the following questions:

1.    Why did you perform refresh of the operating system? Have you faced any issues with operating system?

2.    Were these applications working fine before Refresh?

3.    What is the make and model of the computer?

4. What is the issue with facial recognition and camera?

5. Which program are you trying to install and what is the complete error message?

Reply us with more information to help you.

If you have issues with compatibility, when isntalling programs, I suggest you to install the application in compatibility mode.

a. Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"

b. Then click "Troubleshoot Program".

c. In the next window click an option that best describes the situation and click next to continue.

I suggest you to check the software and hardware compatibility by visiting the windows 8 compatibility center

Compatibility Center: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win8/CompatCenter/Home?Language=en-US

I suggest you to facial recognition device drivers and check.

What happens when you perform Refresh:

The apps that came with your PC or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled, but any apps you installed from other websites and DVDs will be removed. You'll find a list of the removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc 

Regarding Office 2010 download issue, I suggest you contact our office support.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office

Hope this will be helpful. Incase if you still have further queries please reply us and we will be happy to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows 8 is by far the worse of all the Windows I have ever used. I started with 3.1 and have used every release since.
When I installed Windows 8, it removed my Adobe After Effects and several other programs. Lost all my video work.
Guess what I do for work. Work with video editing, Real nice Microsoft! 
I hope others read this before thinking about getting windows 8. After spending the money on the software. I am out thousand dollars of other software. All my years of work and current clients working videos. 
There is no way to uninstall Windows 8, once you install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 745 Applies to: