Log file C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt Repair Loop

There is already a thread similar to this here and I did ask my question there but I'm not sure that anyone from Microsoft Support will see it at the end of the other thread so here goes.....

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/srttrailtxt-error-and-keeps-on-automatic-repairing/00d7c3c8-3eab-46f6-aac5-0846247cf318

But it does not address what to do if you don't have a Windows 8 DVD and only have a Windows 8 Pro upgrade disk and "Factory Installed" Windows Vista

Ok....so I loaded Windows 8 onto the Laptop and for about a week, other than trying to find stuff, I had no major issues....until this morning... Last night I watched the TV shows Grey's Anatomy on CTV and Scandal on City TV then I closed the lid and went to sleep.

This morning I opened the lid and it said that there was something wrong and my screen says

Preparing Automatic Repair

then the next screen says

Diagnosing your PC

the next screen

Automatic Repair

Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC Press "Advanced Options" to try other options to repair your PC or "Shut down" to turn off your PC Log file C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

so I clicked on ADVANCED OPTIONS

and the next screen says

CHOOSE AN OPTION
Continue

Exit and Continue to Windows 8 (Obviously this was my first choice....sadly nothing happened after 2 hours)

Troubleshoot Refresh or reset your PC of use advanced tools

Turrn Off your PC

Well when Exit and continue to Windows 8 didn't work I went with "plan B" ....Troubleshoot

TROUBLESHOOT

Refresh your PC If your PC isn't running well, you can refresh it without loosing your files

Reset your PC If you want to remove all of your files, you can reset your PC completely

Advanced Options

Ok....so I tried all of these in order Refresh your PC did nothing, Reset your PC asked for a disk....and apparently the Windows 8 Pro upgrade disk isn't the one that it wants as it tells me that it's not the right one. I also tried putting in the disks that put this computer back to the factory defaults, also apparently also not the right disks.

So.....on the next round I gave "Advanced Options" a whirl......and it does nothing....just sits there.

This is my laptop computer,the only thing attached to it is the mouse. The only thing I can remember downloading was "Calc" the spread sheet program from Open Office. I'm not concerned about losing any files, I backed them all up before I installed Windows 8 Pro Upgrade. It came with Windows Vista pre-installed so I don't have any disks for Vista and all I have for Windows 8 is the Windows 8 Pro upgrade disk. How do I fix this? The answer above regarding Windows 7 being installed on a different drive etc. honestly just confused the supreme poopy out of me so of course the other "answer" that keeps talking about a Panther folder confuses me even more. That should give you some idea of my level of comprehension when it comes to computers.

Can anyone help me at a level that I might be able to understand?

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Lynnsay,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft Community!

After going through your post, it appears that you have an issue with computer performance.

I would suggest you to perform the clean installation of Windows 8. As you have a backup of data, this would be the right step to fix the issue.

How to perform a clean installation of Windows 8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-PH/windows-8/clean-install

You can also refer to:

How to retrieve files from the Windows.old folder.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows-8/restore-files-upgrade-windows-old

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you!

18 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Lynnsay,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft Community!

After going through your post, it appears that you have an issue with computer performance.

I would suggest you to perform the clean installation of Windows 8. As you have a backup of data, this would be the right step to fix the issue.

How to perform a clean installation of Windows 8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-PH/windows-8/clean-install

You can also refer to:

How to retrieve files from the Windows.old folder.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows-8/restore-files-upgrade-windows-old

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you!

Sorry not helpful.  I have a Windows 8 Pro UPGRADE disk on a laptop computer that Windows Vista was factory installed on so I don't have any Operating System Disks for it.

I backed up all of my files before I installed the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade so I'm not concerned about them at all I just want the Operating System back up and running.  I barely had time to put any files back on to the Laptop after installing the upgrade..

Two things that I was doing on the day before it crashed......I installed Open Office's "Calc" program because I lost my Windows Office Suite and I hadn't re-installed it yet and I was watching TV programs on it through CTV and City TV online.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lynnsay,

In-order to reinstall the Windows Vista, refer the following link.

Restore Windows Vista back to Factory Settings.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/restore-windows-vista-back-to-factory-settings/315c1f81-f963-4f40-a944-d2db6b2e0775

Hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lynnsay,

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/restore-windows-vista-back-to-factory-settings/315c1f81-f963-4f40-a944-d2db6b2e0775

Hope this helps.

It did!  When looking at the Recovery Disks offered on my Laptop's manufacturer's website, I decided to ask if they were any different than the 3 disk recovery set that I already had and if there was a bootable version of Vista on any of those disk and also knowing that the system WAS partitioned I asked how to access that partitioned section and I stumbled upon a tutorial that told me that to access the partitioned drive I had to press the ALT-F10 buttons while the system was booting up and then it took me through step by step how to set the laptop back to Factory Defaults.  So I didn't have to buy any disks and my computer is restoring back to factory defaults as we speak

http://emachines-us.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2631

So you didn't have the answer but you pointed me in the right direction by sending me to the manufacturer's website!

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lynnsay,

Hope this helps.

I have the same problem, but I bought my Windows 8 Desktop over the internet, no windows 8 CDs were provided. 
How can I find a disk/file to restore back to factory settings?

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Hello, iTs now december 27 and I upgraded windows 8.0 Pro up to 8.1 about a month ago.I used my computer just this morning. After the installation of the software for a printer I put the PC out for a restart.
When it started up I got exactly the same problem as the message you wrote.
I need my PC every day too and whatever I try, I can't let it run as before, not even after a system recovery, however it said that it was fixed.

Is their anybody whom knows what I can do and keep all of my files and programmes in good shape? 
If I ask Microsoft for help, I have to pay € 299,- and that is robbery. They cause the problem and should fix it for free.

Please help.

Thank you in forward.

Anna Marie in the Netherlands.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ann,

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
  2. What are you troubleshooting methods you have tried to fix the issue?

Refer to these links, you will be able create an installation media, which can be used to refresh your computer.

Creating installation media for Windows 8.1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Upgrading Windows with only a product key.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Note: Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. I have to wait to tomorrow, but I will come back to it then. I shall try your first option  and hope for the best.
By the way, my PC is bought in separate parts, so not a HP or so. It's build together by a friend of mine.
I worked with Vista for several years and since July with windows 8.1 which worked perfect. No problems what so ever. I regret it to upgrade it to 8.1.

Anyway, I shall tells you how it ended.

Regards, Anna

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I reinstalled the Pc with windows 8.0 again. That program worked perfectly on that. So no more update to 8.1. That only gives problems. Luckily All my files are on another disk, so the only things I lost were some outgoing emails. Be aware people and try avoided problems with updates.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anna,

Thank you for the reply.

Please do let us know if you need any help with Windows related issues, we're here to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 19, 2021 Views 60,622 Applies to: