Is it possible to enter safe mode without msconfig.exe Windows 8?

Hi,

I had to reinstall Windows 8 tonight because the OS decided to stop recognizing my keyboard (which basically left me locked out of the OS because of no way to enter the password). I'm almost certain that it was a driver issue because it happened immediately after an update and the keyboard worked flawlessly in the bios. In fact I'm typing on it right now. A quick web search shows that it's a common problem in Windows 8, but it doesn't appear that Microsoft knows about it yet...

My question:

Is there a way to set the boot loader (or whatever it is) to always listen for a command (F8 or Shift-F8) to start the OS in safe mode? Basically I would like the same functionality that was in Windows 7 and prior. This possibly would have saved me hours reinstalling tonight.

I understand that you can start the OS in safe mode by using msconfig. That was not an option for me since Windows did not see that I had a valid keyboard to input my password.... (I tried several keyboards)

I have read varying information on this topic. A lot of people say you can use shift-8 but it does not work for me. It's my understanding that the window of time the OS listens for the shift-8 command is so small that you need to be lightning fast to time it right. This was done to increase boot speed? I would pick slower boot speed any day of the week over the 6+ hours I had to spend reinstalling the OS and everything else.

Thanks

Answer
Answer

the OS decided to stop recognizing my keyboard (which basically left me locked out of the OS because of no way to enter the password).

Not so.   You can activate and use the On-Screen Keyboard in the Accessibility menu (on the left of the login screen.)

Is there a way to set the boot loader (or whatever it is) to always listen for a command (F8 or Shift-F8) to start the OS in safe mode?

No.  There is something better in the same place.   In the Shutdown menu (on the right of the login screen.)   Press Shift  (using the OSK if necessary) while clicking on the Restart option.

Ref:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/22/designing-for-pcs-that-boot-faster-than-ever-before.aspx

(watch the last 30 seconds of the video)

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2020 Views 1,989 Applies to: