I'm stuck on the Windows 8 Lock Screen..

• Last night my computer automatically updated, restarted, and then turned on again. After a couple of hours I decided it was time to shut it off. Today, I turn on my Samsung Series 7 Chronos and the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive on the lock screen. I'm able to use the keyboard as it starts up, because I'm able to enter Windows Boot Manager through F10. Nothing at Start Up Settings or UEFI Firmware Settings have helped. I've tried Safe Mode(same problem), Disabling Fast BIOS, Re-Enabling Fast Bios, I even plugged in an external mouse through usb. I don't know what to do. I can't re-install Windows 8 because I bought the laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed. What am I to do in the situation? I know almost EVERYONE has experienced these problems, why has this been a recurring issue for so many? 

To sum things up... 

• 1. Safe Mode does nothing for me, because the keyboard and mouse are still both unresponsive. 
  •  2. I don't have Windows 8 Pro, so whatever convenience that is for some, is not to me. 
  •  3. I don't have an installation disk because Windows 8 was pre-installed. 
  •  4. I have no back up restore points because I hardly use the computer to get some sort of virus. Nor did I expect the problem to arise from an automatic update. 
  •  5. Samsung Series 7 Chronos Model 6235ANHMW
Answer
Answer
Hi,
Thank you for posting your issue on Microsoft Community Forums.
I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced.

As you told the Operating System was preinstalled on the computer, I would like to ask you to contact the computer manufacturer and get a Windows 8 repair or installation CD/DVD and perform the following methods to resolve the issue.

Method 1:
Boot to Recovery Environment with Windows 8 media.
Please follow the steps given below. Insert the Windows 8 installation DVD in the DVD ROM and restart your computer.

a) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
f) Click Automatic Repair from Advanced Options screen.
g) Next, choose the operating system by clicking on its button.
h) Windows 8 will look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Method 2:
You can perform system restore using a Windows 8 installation DVD.
Follow the same steps from a to e as given in method 1
and do the following:
a) Select System Restore.
b) Follow the onscreen instructions to perform system restore on the computer.
Note: System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps and drivers.

Method 3:
Boot to Recovery Environment with Windows 8 media.
Please follow the steps given below:
a) Insert the Windows 8 installation DVD in the DVD ROM and restart your computer.
b) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
c) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
d) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
e) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
f) Click on Refresh your PC option.
g) Follow the onscreen instruction to perform Refresh on the computer.
Note: Refreshing your PC will not delete any of your personal files or change the settings.

Refer:

Hope this resolves the issue.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2020 Views 7,433 Applies to: