I'm able to run Windows 8 on my computer, but it needs to have an installation disk inside the disk drive. Otherwise, it will give me the "disk read error" message.

My Windows 8 PC once froze on me, so I decided to restart the computer. Once I did, the PC gave me an error message saying "disk read error". I checked the IDE cable and the power cable and there seems to be no problem. I tried to repair it using the disk and I was able to finish the repair. But as soon as I removed the disk and restarted the PC, it gave me the same error message. I tried to reinstall Windows 8 and the same issue persist when I removed and restarted the PC after completing the reinstallation. I even tried reformatting the whole thing, but it still does the same thing.

Right now I'm able to use my computer, but only because I have my installer inside my Drive D. How do I get about this? Thanks!

Hi Patch,

This issue may occur if the boot priority has been changed to boot from a disk media. Let's change the boot priority and check if that resolves the issue. Refer to these steps:

a) When the computer boots, the manufacturer's logo will be displayed for a short period.
b) When the manufacturer's logo comes, you can find the information about the function key that needs to be pressed to enter the BIOS settings.(Usually F8 or F12)
c) This function key might differ with between each manufacturer, so if you couldn't find the correct function key , you can also refer the user manual or call the manufacturer's support.
d) Now, restart the computer and keep pressing that function key to enter the BIOS menu
e) Locate the boot options and change the boot priority to boot from hard drive first.

If the above step didn't help, you can also update the BIOS from the manufacturer and check.

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps. if the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we'd be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Patch,

This issue may occur if the boot priority has been changed to boot from a disk media. Let's change the boot priority and check if that resolves the issue. Refer to these steps:

a) When the computer boots, the manufacturer's logo will be displayed for a short period.
b) When the manufacturer's logo comes, you can find the information about the function key that needs to be pressed to enter the BIOS settings.(Usually F8 or F12)
c) This function key might differ with between each manufacturer, so if you couldn't find the correct function key , you can also refer the user manual or call the manufacturer's support.
d) Now, restart the computer and keep pressing that function key to enter the BIOS menu
e) Locate the boot options and change the boot priority to boot from hard drive first.

If the above step didn't help, you can also update the BIOS from the manufacturer and check.

Hope this helps. if the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we'd be happy to help.

I already did that and the same problem occur. by the way, I keep on getting an error message saying "Can not find GRLDR" and saying something like "try", a pair of numbers inside parentheses separated by a comma, some message afterwards. what does that mean?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

GRLDR is Grub loader file. If you have installed a Linux OS earlier or have installed Linux and windows OS in a dual boot, this file would be needed while booting. So, in order to troubleshoot this issue further, please answer these questions:

1)      Have you installed a Linux OS prior to upgrading to Windows 8 or have installed Windows 8 as a dual boot with Linux?

2)      What is the full error message you get?

3)      Do you get an option “Press space bar to hold the screen, any other key to boot previous MBR” at the end of error message?

Please get back to us with more information for further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 68 Applies to: