how do I get rid of Windows 8 evaluation copy

I mistakenly downloaded an evaluation copy of windows 8 after reading all kind of assurances about the safety of doing so.  The evaluation period is ended an now windows 8 is holding my computer hostage, shutting it down every 2 hours. I do not want windows 8. I want my windows 7 back. I have spoken to 3 Microsoft technicians (one of which offered to email me windows 7 so I could download it).  Now I am referred to a forum with the now faint hope that my problem will be addressed. In simple terms please give me back my operating system and set my laptop free.

Dan Oldfield

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Hi Dan,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community Forums.

From your issue description, I understand that you need to reinstall Windows 7 in your computer .

1. Have you faced any issues while using windows 8 release preview?

Method 1:

If you want to go back to your previous version of Windows, you need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC.

To go back to your previous version of Windows, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC; typically DVD media. If you don’t have recovery media you might be able to create it from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer’s website for more information. After you install Windows 8, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

I suggest you to refer to section "Can I uninstall Windows 8 Release Preview?" from this Microsoft article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/faq

For instructions on reinstalling Windows 7, see Installing and reinstalling Windows 7:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

Note: I suggest you to back up all the important files before you try to reinstall Windows 7 in your computer.

If you need any further assistance with windows, please reply and we will be happy to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 399 Applies to: