How can i set my windows 8 laptop back to factory settings

I have picked up an  virus andtried several times to get rid of it but no joy so i decided to take my laptop back to factory settings which i have done in the past with both XP and windows 7 on other computors but when i try with windows 8 i have made enquiries online and received the same instructions from several sites but when i try to do iyt my computor just does not give me the options i click on change pc settings and nothing happens i really hate windows 8 can somebody help me please

Dek M     *** Email address is removed for privacy ***
|

On many laptops pressing the F11 key at startup will initiate system recovery. There may be a prompt on the startup screen or you can check the manufacturer website or owner's manual for more detailed information. Keep in mind that restoring to original settings will wipe all data and programs added after purchase. I wouldn't recommend using the native Windows 8 recovery options if your purpose is to remove a stubborn piece of malware.

Jim

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows 8 has different recovery procedures. To go back to Factory Settings, open PC Settings, go to General page and select Advanced Startup. That will reboot your computer and bring up a Troubleshooting menu that should allow you to go back to Factory settings.

You might seek help from your computer manufacturer's support site too. They might be able to help with virus problems and inform you about a special recovery procedure.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oops! Thanks mlg63. Old habits die hard.

jim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Both of the other replies are correct, but JimR1's will allow you to restore your machine to it's AS New condidion either with Recovery Disks you have burned, or the Recovery Partition on your Hard Drive.... I think that this is what you want...

It uses an application provided by the computer manufacturer to do this, not anything from Microsoft...Look in your manual for terms like "RECOVERY"...all the companies are a little different..

Mary is talking about using a Win 8 feature to Restore, or Reset Win 8, or possibly making a repair disk...

If you don't already have a RECOVERY disk set, I would burn one soon...it comes from a different partition than your possibly infected Win 8.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have picked up an  virus andtried several times to get rid of it but no joy so i decided to take my laptop back to factory settings which i have done in the past with both XP and windows 7 on other computors but when i try with windows 8 i have made enquiries online and received the same instructions from several sites but when i try to do iyt my computor just does not give me the options i click on change pc settings and nothing happens i really hate windows 8 can somebody help me please

Dek M     *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Where do I get the information to burn a recovery disc? Thank you, YA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2021 Views 27,795 Applies to: