How can I restore my pc from windows 8 pro upgrade to original windows 7 home edition ?

Had a virus that has lost all windows live mail messages, contacts & Firefox bookmarks. Now can only logon as built-in administrator and every time I logon to new session all previous work, history, files, downloads, restore points, everything gone. Now surrendered to fact will have to find a way to wipe all and start afresh......problem is that laptop originally bought with windows 7 home edition built in (no disc) and backups on other drive not accessible. Running on windows 8 Pro upgrade (Before end of Jan offer) with problems mentioned above. Have AVG2013 updated. Also no records of purchases on my windows/MS account for either windows 8 Pro upgrade or Office365. No help or useful advise on here since 26 Feb 2013

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 129 Applies to:

Hi Nick,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. 

From your description, I understand that computer was infected by virus and want to perform a clean install. I will be glad to assist you.

As you have upgraded the operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 8, you need perform clean install using Windows 7 disk. Then upgrade the operating system to Windows 8.

To perform clean install of Windows 7, you need Windows 7 re-installation disk. If you do not have Windows 7 disk, I suggest you to contact your computer manufacturer.
Refer to the following link to perform custom install:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/installing-and-reinstalling-windows-7

Clean Install warning: Back up your files before you begin reinstalling Windows, even if you're reinstalling Windows on a hard disk partition. A clean installation replaces the current version of Windows and all personal files.

I suggest you to contact Electronic Software Download Support for help on Windows 8 purchase details.

Refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/esd-support-phone-numbers

For any Windows related issues please feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is this still an issue for you? I am having a similar problem. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.