Question

Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

LorenzCatedral asked on
I bought a new laptop with Windows 8 OS. I am using it now for a month and I received an error twice saying that:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

is there something I can do to fix this error? Please help!

here is my minidump file

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=20371634CE514CAC&id=20371634CE514CAC!105
30 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Rohit Siddegowda replied on

Duplicate post:
Hi Guys,

For the last few days, I experienced an error and tried to repair it according to what I have been told, anyway you can take a look at this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/error-driverirqlnotlessorequal/3dd88d13-6fd1-4cda-800a-162b1b98480a

After I've done all of the possible solution, I encountered another problem about the power plan in my laptop. You can take a look at this video as he has the same problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOYb45iRbd4

I think this is due to the AMD uninstaller that I downloaded to uninstall my graphics driver (trying to solve/repair the 1st error I encountered). Has anyone have an idea how to solve this problem without uninstalling windows 8 (as I read on some of the comments in youtube that I have to re-install windows 8 to solve this problem) ?

My laptop is Toshiba Satellite L40D.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks thanks!

Solution:

Hi Lorenz,

If you are still facing the problem after following all the suggestions provided by Patrick Barker, you may follow these methods:

Method 1:

Step A: Boot the computer in Safe mode wherein the computer starts with basic drivers and no third party programs. Check if you are still receiving the error message.

Step B:

If the issue does not persists in Safe Mode then perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” to return the computer to a Normal startup mode.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to refer to the link and try to refresh the computer:

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC

Note: Refreshing the computer will not delete not delete any of your personal files or change your settings. The apps that came with the computer or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled, but any apps you installed from other websites and DVDs will be removed. You'll find a list of the removed apps on your desktop after refreshing the computer.

Let us know if it helps.

Rohit S
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Patrick Barker replied on
Hi,

Both of the attached DMP files are of the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1) bugcheck.

A kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL (Interrupt Request Level) that was too high.

Usual causes are a device driver has a bug and attempted to access invalid memory, the pagefile
has been corrupted or there is a memory problem.

It seems that we consistently see the following:

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+7a9fc4 )

atikmdag.sys is one of the kernel-mode drives in the AMD / ATI suite and amongst its other various jobs, it appears to monitor the functionality of other drivers.

Ensure you have the latest video card drivers. If you are already on the latest video card drivers, uninstall and install a version or a few versions behind the latest to ensure it's not a latest driver only issue. If you have already experimented with the latest video card driver and many previous versions, please give the beta driver for your computer or video card a try if available.

In your loaded drivers list, dtsoftbus01.sys is listed which is the Daemon Tools driver. Daemon Tools is a very popular cause of BSOD's in 7/8 based systems. Please uninstall Daemon Tools. Alternative imaging programs are: MagicISO, Power ISO, etc.

If the above do not help with the crashes, remove and replace Norton with Windows 8's built-in Windows Defender:

Norton removal tool - https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us;jsessionid=841A6D40BA6872C47697C6C6B19C8E11.4?entsrc=redirect_pubweb&pvid=f-home

Regards,

Patrick
Debugger/Reverse Engineer.
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress